tire help for a new guy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I should know this, but... I need new wheels for my worksman bike. I came across this bike on CL. Can anyone tell me if standard 2.125" ballon tires will fit on these wheels?
donorbike.jpg
:?:

Those wheels will not work with balloon tires, but that bike has lots of cool parts- 3 speed coaster hub, drum brake front hub, nice light set. If it is less than $40 or so I would snatch it up for parts.

Sheldon Brown has done a wonderful job compiling and explaining tire sizes.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I might even go a little more then 40, that looks like a Brooks seat in good shape.
The front hub is actually a dyno hub not a drum brake, I have seen them sell alone for 50-60

highship said:
I might even go a little more then 40, that looks like a Brooks seat in good shape.
The front hub is actually a dyno hub not a drum brake, I have seen them sell alone for 50-60

Good call on the seat and hub. I passed over the seat entirely and didn't notice it was missing the typical frame mounted generator. I would go up to $100 for that as a parts bike. Just be careful if you ride it, some of those lightweights will get into your heart once you take them around the block.

udallcustombikes said:
Just be careful if you ride it, some of those lightweights will get into your heart once you take them around the block.

You can say that again, I have about 8 that I cleaned up with intentions of flipping but I still have them...

udallcustombikes said:
Those wheels will not work with balloon tires, but that bike has lots of cool parts- 3 speed coaster hub, drum brake front hub, nice light set. If it is less than $40 or so I would snatch it up for parts.

Sheldon Brown has done a wonderful job compiling and explaining tire sizes.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Thanks for the help guys. I found a brand new complete wheel set with tires, tubes and a Nexus 3 speed coaster hub from a member here on RRB. I was looking at complete bikes for a cool wheel set with a 3 speed when I came across this bike. When I saw the seat and headlight I was hoping the wheels would work. He wanted $100 for it, but that was my entire bike allowance for the month and I need wheels for my Build off #7 bike. So no parts bike for me. Still looking for a cool old seat for The Rainier Racer, but that will have to wait until June 1st.

Back