Tire question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of building a Pashley style bike and had a question. I see that many of the cream tires that guys are using are the 700 c size tires. Is that the same as a 28" or close to it? Can you use a 700 or 28" on a standard 26 inch frame without fenders? For example, if I was to get a two speed kick back installed on a 28" rim would in work on some old Schwinn or Raleigh frame? I am not to up on lightweight bikes. The tires on bikes like Pashley Guv'nors seem fatter than a standard tire. Thanks for any advice. Brian

I have put 700c wheels into a 26" Schwinn Lightweight for my wife and it fit fine.
IMG_0304.jpg

The wheel set I used came off of a '10 Schwinn Gateway and the tires were marked as 28", but they are just re-labeled 700c's (ISO 622). There are also true 28" wheels (ISO 635) out there as well, be hard pressed to squeeze those into a 26" frame.

Looks great! Like the personal touch on the chainguard. So those are 700c on 26 rims. I assume that most of the road bikes out there today use the metric 700c as the standard size tire. I see a lot of guys refer to Schwalbe tires for the Pashley look. Thanks. Brian

so i have a dumb sounding noobish question, whats the difference from a 26in wheel and a 700c wheel?
i mean they look about the same to me.. just 700c are like always skinny, is that what its about? idk
im just a cruiser/bmx guy so its not really part of my knowledge :p

iven said:
so i have a dumb sounding noobish question, whats the difference from a 26in wheel and a 700c wheel?
i mean they look about the same to me.. just 700c are like always skinny, is that what its about? idk
im just a cruiser/bmx guy so its not really part of my knowledge :p

http://www.isisconsulting.org/catalog/bike/p2010.htm

Back