Tire Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am restoring a mid 50's Columbia Westfield. The tires and rims on there are not original. They are 26 x 1.75. I would like to put bigger balloon tires on here? How do I know if these will fit? Will they fit on the rims too? This is my first build/restore. Thanks for the tips/advice...

what are you thinking? 26x2.125? They will fit. Wider tires will fit too but I would make sure you have the room in the frame.

And the fork.

Don't worry 'bout the rims,even a 2,35 will fit. Like Highship said,it's all about frame-and fork width. And the type of hub/sprocket,for enough clearance between reartyre and chain.

Great post...I have the same bike that I am looking to put as big as tire as I can fit... 2.35 would be nice but at least 2.125 8)

I have a similar question and as long as we r on the topic of tires...I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking his thread...

I hav 26x 2.125 tires on my bike what is the skinniest or thinest tires I can put on the wheel?

DonQui said:
I hav 26x 2.125 tires on my bike what is the skinniest or thinest tires I can put on the wheel?

I think 26x1.25 are the narrowest tires I've seen that use the same 559mm bead diameter. I guess how well they would work in your case depends on the width of the rims you actually have. Sheldon Brown published some reference to that end at the bottom of this page: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

26 x 2.125 is ideal, but is that possible w/ the same rims I have though? I think they will fit in the forks, but not sure if they will fit on the rims is all.

I have 26 x 2.125s on my 1" alloy rims; the tires dont fill out to that full width, they go about 1.95 . BUT, not all tires react the same way as to how much the width changes. The thing is, that with skinny rims they sure wont go wider than they are 'rated' to be.

Latest posts

Back