Tire restoration?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gcrank1 said:
Well, Burt Munro filled checks in his land speed motorcycle tires with shoe polish to pass pre-run inspection...........(watch the movie,'The World's Fastest Indian'.

That actually works quite well, I use it on all my show tires. 50+ year old tires look almost 20 years old! :D

If you're interest is for show purposes, fine. Do the shoe polish thing.

However, if you mean "restore for actual use", then you should consider rethinking it. The rubber/nylon carcass of the tire deteriorates with age. Not only does it become structurally compromised (cracked), but the rubber also hardens and becomes less compliant - and has less grip. Hard tires also don't grip wet roads well either.

Now, I'll point out that when this question comes up with old cars (like ones that used Michelin TRX tires - which are analogous to Schwinn sizes), I'm usually very adamant about not risking the car (or the occupants) with ancient rubber. On a bike, obviously, the speeds are much slower and the results of a tire failure are a lot less catastrophic. You could get away with it just cruising around, doing parades, etc., although if you have chunks of side wall pealing off, then just replace the tires.

I've always thought that if you could soak the tires in some penetrating oil or somthing it might help alittle. But, I've never gotten around to trying it.

And p.s, penetrating oil and a scotch brite pad work amazing for cleaning whitewalls

Something like ArmourAll (sp?) is likely a better 'soak' to preserve rubber products. Ive always heard that many rubber formulations are deteriorated by petroleum oils, except for those made to be compatible, as in seals, etc. We used to use brake fluid on tire sidewalls for motorcycle shows, but beware, DOT 3 Brake Fluid is a fine paint remover.

Latest posts

Back