Tire size 700 X 38 Does this really fit a 29er Wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these on ebay but I do not know enough about bike tires. Can anyone tell me if these will fit my 29er wheels?

Perfect for those days when you don't want the noisy knobbys.
Turn any 29er into a cruiser with these tires.
Fits 700c rims (622)
Tire specs: 700 x 38 , recommended inflation 50 - 75psi
Weight ea. 665g.
Will fit 29er as well as 700c style "cross" bikes with clearance.
Perfect for street riding and hard-pack trails!
On the road with 80 psi these roll fast!!!!
KGrHqVl0E1GEfEEBNfr9scNCg_3.jpg

I read '622' on the tire. Look for that number on your rims (or on the tires that are on your rims). I've had many problems with tiresizes but also learned that if these numbers match, it'll fit. Over here (europe) '622' is the 28" size for standard bikes.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but at this point I think '29ers' are are nothing more than just 28s in disguise... (28" rims with fat tires will make the wheel 29" right??)

If so, check out Schwalbes catalog for cool tires...
8)

Keep us posted on this!

29er's, 28's, and 700c's all measure 622mm bead diameter so they will fit the diameter of your rim. The problem you might run into is the width of the tire on the rim. I don't know how well "low profile" tires will perform on a bike.

here in england 28 means ertro 635, not 622. if we call 622 anything, then it's 700c.

apart from that, 622x38 will fit 29er rims. how wide is the internal gap between rim walls? inner rim width in this pic?

bead-seat-diameter.jpg

read this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html at the bottom of the page is a red and green table showing what width of tyre will comfortable fit which rim...assuming that the ERTRO sizes match.

sheldonbrown_tiresizing.jpg

^ don't forget to post this one too ^ (also from Sheldon's site.) And it also states that iso 622 = 28"

There is a difference in 28s but like I said: The tire Rat Rod Beach Goer has got his eyes on clearly reads 622. He just gotta make sure his rims have that same iso-number for it to fit (check the old tires that came on these wheels).

My experience is this: 99% of the standard '28inch bikes' have the 622 iso size. As well as ALL 28" roadbikes...
Just ONCE in my whole life I came across a bigger 28" tire. That must have been an 'iso 635' I guess... But those aren't as common in the Netherlands as Sheldon would've liked us to believe :wink: I'm guessing those tires were meant for the older classic granny-bikes.

Somehow, I have a hard time believing that other euro-countries are running a different size 28" tire on standard bikes than The Netherlands...

In short: Yes, they will fit.
29ers were designed to fit ordinary 622Mm (24 1/2") rims.
Herr Rudolf: 28x1 1/2" (635Mm=25") is indeed used on 'granny bikes', and (in my case) on 'grandpa bikes'.

Back