Tires for commuter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My brother commutes to work on this beautiful beast
IMG_0567.jpeg

He's looking for tires with less rolling resistance. Current tires are hybrid road tire, not these burly CSTs. He's thinking about getting these:
1717095660409.png

Does anyone have any experience with these? Better yet, what tires do you like on your commuter? These are 26".

It's a really cool bike. I think he should get a gravel bike and sell the Cannondale to me. :bigsmile:

There are a lot of semi slicks that work great for street use. If there is a lot glass or other debris in the area, a belted tire can help reduce flats. I have Kenda Komfort tires and they work well for all around riding. Enough rubber to prevent most flats. Only ever had 2 flats on them in some 20 years both from slender wires probably from car/truck tire blowouts. The wires car/truck tires are quite nasty to bike tires.

As a side note I commuted on a Cannondale Super V 1000 for a couple days. Not good. The rear wheel kept lifting up off the ground. I guess it was a suspension issue, fork/frame shocks set too different from each other. I didn't keep it long enough to figure it out. I have a Specialized StumpJumper FSR which is a far superior bike for off road use.

As far as commuting goes, you normally don't need any suspension. 1.95 to 2" tires are enough without all the extra weight you get from suspension parts. Older name brand rigid mountain bikes are quite good for commuters. Room for fenders, eyelets for racks and an upright riding position for better viability. Giant Boulder, Trek 800 or 820, Specialized Hard Rock. Later 1990s to early 2000s are budget priced bikes that hold up very well and are ideal for commuting. I have commuted on all kinds of bikes and the skinny tire bikes require you watch the pavement all the time when watching for traffic is more important.

Last edited:
No more offroad for this one, some puncture resistance would be desirable. He still has the knobbies if he wants to though. Here's some I'm looking at:
1717110135066.png

1717110177500.png

1717110208495.png

1717110241121.png

He switches off with this Motobecane we fixed up for him. He likes both of these. I tried to give him a good low mileage hybrid but 2 is enough for him. I really didn’t train him right.
IMG_0571.jpeg

The only one on the list that I have is the Panaracer RibMo 26 x 2.0 on a 3 speed cruiser. They roll so easy it's as if the wind is always on your back. Tire casing shape gives narrower contact area backed up by a full width sidewall for cushion. With its puncture protection it would be my choice for a commuter bike.

The only one on the list that I have is the Panaracer RibMo 26 x 2.0 on a 3 speed cruiser. They roll so easy it's as if the wind is always on your back. Tire casing shape gives narrower contact area backed up by a full width sidewall for cushion. With its puncture protection it would be my choice for a commuter bike.

I like Panaracers, I'll have to give those a try. He actually ordered some of the Thick Slicks. They should be along shortly!

Back