To 3/32nd, or to not 3/32nd?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
As I'm mulling over my next build, I have a sprocket dilemma. The bike was using a 1/8" chain for a 3 speed. I'm switching to a 5 speed. I might use the original sprocket. In the past, I've milled the teeth thinner to accommodate the 3/32 chain so I can use a freewheel and derailleur. But now I'm wondering if I really need to do that? The difference in width between a 1/8" chain and a 3/32" chain is... uhhhh... (*tries to math...) ... uhhhh... a small distance. But what NEEDS the thinner chain? I'm thinking the 1/8" chain has the room to fit the cogs in the freewheel and will change between them fine. I'm thinking the jockey cage is where the problem is. So... can I just ad a small washer spacer in the cage to open up the width?

Has anyone tried that?

I think the issue is the outer width of the chain. My understanding is 1/8 and 3/32 is measuring the inner width. (The difference of inner width is 1/32)

The difference in the outer width may be more significant. To me the question is whether the outer width will fit between the cogs of the freewheel.

I am all for experimenting. Give it a shot and let us know. My guess is you will run into shifting issues.

I’ve run into the same dilemma and have always replaced the front chainring.

Latest posts

Back