to repaint or to not repaint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

So im having a hard time deciding if I should repaint my stingray fastback or not.... the paint is well 37 years old, it has alot of chips but shines up pretty decent, but im at the point where its totally stripped, ready to reassemble ive collected/bought all the parts I need to replace etc so itll be in beauty shape but do you think I should repaint or leave it? I know original paint usually brings more $ but im not going to sell it so... when does the scale tip from original paint being worth more or a repaint restore worth more?

Thanks Ty

That's a tough one, there's pros and cons both ways. Personally I'd say since you're not selling it I'd re-paint it but do it in the same exact color and order new decals for it, but that's just me.

yeah if I go the repaint route, it'll be in the same sunset orange.... if I can find the same paint :( havin a hard time so far... and to order new water transfer decals... I want it to look original and do it proper

It depends on how far gone it really is, but my opinion would be to repaint if you aren't interested in the money. As stated above go with the original paint, if it is a color you like. For me, I wouldn't care what color it was, I want one in coppertone, so anything other than a coppertone I get would be a repaint. For me bikes are all about personal enjoyment, and I've never really made much money on a bike. I rarely sell one (to the discontent of my girlfriend) and to me having a bike I enjoy riding trumps all other aspects. Then again, that is why this forum exists. We like the do it yourself, grind it, sand it, weld it,chop it aspects of this stuff. Sunset orange is a cool color though, and it sounds like a great project.

Back