To spread the frame or use spacers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have an old 70s road bike that I want to put 700c wheels on. The hub is 130 and the frame spread is 120mm. Which is the best solution, spread the frame to 130 and align the dropouts or or put a smaller spacer on the non drive side of the hub and change the dish a little? Being lazy I want to spread the frame but I still might have to re dish to get a proper chain line? Anyone have any experience solving this problem? thanks

'Old seventies road bike' could mean many things. If it's just an average bike I would probably just spread the dropouts. If it has some rare value that could be effected, change the wheels to fit.

I'm assuming it's a steel frame, right? Cold set steel stays and re-align the dropouts/derailleur hanger. Otherwise, doctor the wheels and re-dish 5mm on each side.

There's a practical limit to how much you can dish, though, depending on a combination of factors.

I was waiting to see what others said first. But I spread my Schwinn Heavy Duti frame dropouts 25mm with no problem using a scissors jack. Never did that before so was kinda worried but it went great. Just took my time and took a couple of tries cause the frame sprung back a little each time, so you have to watch it careful.

If all you'd be doing to de-space the hub is removing spacers from the NDS, that'd be a pretty radical dish, and it would make for a flimsy wheel. In that case, I'd say respace the frame.

On the other hand....
If it's a Shimano rear hub and it's got an HG freehub body for 8/9/10speed (probably the most common 130mm rear hub set-up), I'd dig into the parts pile looking for a 7speed HG freehub body and swap that for the 8/9/10 FHB on the 700c wheel, which'd buy you 4mm on the DS; if you can lose 4mm on the NDS by removing or swapping spacers, then you won't need to re-dish, and you can probably cram the 122mm rear hub into the frame without even cold-setting....

HTH
Rob

Latest posts

Back