TODAYS FIND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We seen this from a distance in a ladys front yard.. We pulled up in her driveway and said are you throwing that away, She said to us it is going to be hard to get rid of that and we asked her why. She went on to tell us that her dad had this bike for his job in the 40's as a mail carrier. I looked at the bike and said wow that is been outside for almost 90 years wow.. Well she gave it to us and it is in the pile of projects for us to look at.

Well I dont know much about it but I am doing my research It is from the 40's and it says detroit on the plate. It also says schwinn truck..

chime in on your thoughts for this one restore or keep it the way it is... lets here some ideas..
also maybe some pics and info of what exactly it is...
FxCam_1287330337204.jpg

FxCam_1287330285443.jpg

Yikes, she's a little ruff. I'd say spray the bejesus out of it with WD40 and see what comes loose. If it can be freed up then I'd say restore it. On second thought it does have a nice patina look that is working for it, maybe just get it ride-able and update your tetanus shots. :mrgreen:

I said holy kamoly when I got it home.. The front wheel turns, the crank turns, handle bars move, the rear wheel is missing a chunk of the rim so that doesnt move to freely. The crank is spinning nice.. The pedals move.

in that case I'd say throw another rim on it and have fun. Or if your a stickler for original lace the hub to another hoop.

schwinn cycle truck you lucky lucky dude. those stems pull some nice pennys. its worth a clean up in my book. maybe not a full on restore but paint to protect for sure.

Love the Patina! I'm not sure if your rear rack is correct though, it looks exactly like a Wald aftermarket rack that I have. Enjoy the bike :)

thesuicideride said:
schwinn cycle truck you lucky lucky dude. those stems pull some nice pennys. its worth a clean up in my book. maybe not a full on restore but paint to protect for sure.

What do you suggest on how to do this? The back wheel is waisted.

I'd say new rims or just new hoops, painted red, maybe do a fake patina on the hoops, some worn whitewalls, and clear over the rust to keep it from rusting further. Then print your bike shop logo onto the plate in old English lettering, little sanding to make it look old and authentic.

Also just an idea take a metal plate and leave it out in the rain for a few months and let it rust up, when you sand it do it over a piece of paper and save the rust particles. They work great for gently brushing onto tacky paint before clear-coat to add a bit of texture and give a patina look.

outskirtscustoms said:
I'd say new rims or just new hoops, painted red, maybe do a fake patina on the hoops, some worn whitewalls, and clear over the rust to keep it from rusting further. Then print your bike shop logo onto the plate in old English lettering, little sanding to make it look old and authentic.

Also just an idea take a metal plate and leave it out in the rain for a few months and let it rust up, when you sand it do it over a piece of paper and save the rust particles. They work great for gently brushing onto tacky paint before clear-coat to add a bit of texture and give a patina look.

Where in the world would be a good place to get some new hoops..? What do you recomend for sprying it so it does not rust no more? I want it to say what it says on it still you just cant see it that well (DETROIT FREE PRESS AGENCY ) Then some other stuff. What would I need the rust particles for again?

We all have our own opinion on this one! Me? I'd take it apart looking for the origional color on the fork stem or inside the BB. I'd sandblast it, and get it powdercoated. I'd mount some wheels, goosenck, handlebars, and other stuff from a donor bike or two to get it road-worthy. After that I'd make a long-term attempt to get as many era parts back on it. From my financial standpoint, parts replacement could or would take years, but it would be a work in progress. The sign board? I'd put my business logo Planet of the Tee Shirts "Go Apeshirt" logo on it!

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
We all have our own opinion on this one! Me? I'd take it apart looking for the origional color on the fork stem or inside the BB. I'd sandblast it, and get it powdercoated. I'd mount some wheels, goosenck, handlebars, and other stuff from a donor bike or two to get it road-worthy. After that I'd make a long-term attempt to get as many era parts back on it. From my financial standpoint, parts replacement could or would take years, but it would be a work in progress. The sign board? I'd put my business logo Planet of the Tee Shirts "Go Apeshirt" logo on it!

Im afraid to sandblast it! Im affraid it will just fall apart!

TheItGuy said:
Im afraid to sandblast it! Im affraid it will just fall apart!

The frame looks sound to me. Gently tap it with a hammer. If it ping-ping's, it's solid. If it puts out a dull thud or dents...STOP! Click on the link in my signature and compare your frame to my 55 Columbia Built. I believe your bike is better off than you might think.

TheItGuy said:
What did yours look like after blasting?

I did not do the work. The guy that powder coated it sandblasted it. I never saw it "in-between". Right now it looks awesome!

6146229_orig.jpg

Even the thin metal luggage rack, chainguard, and horn tank fared well...don't know about yours.

Your frame should look as good as the above picture.

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
Also. I would apply my other passion, woodworking to make a wooden cargo box for the front. I would probably use a good weather resistant stock like cedar or teak...not that I would ever let that bicycle see another drop of rain again.......ever.
So wheels do you think I shoud just throw some donor wheels on her, The front one is a small one. May be tough to track down? I am looking at putting a similar basket that was on the bike in the day.

TheItGuy said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Where in the world would be a good place to get some new hoops..? What do you recomend for sprying it so it does not rust no more? I want it to say what it says on it still you just cant see it that well (DETROIT FREE PRESS AGENCY ) Then some other stuff. What would I need the rust particles for again?

Your LBS should be able to get new hoops for you, if not, cannibalize another bike for them.

As far as getting it to stop rusting just good clear-coat will work.

You could probably get some paint and touch up the lettering on it. The rust particles are for If you do re-paint a piece, while the paint is still tacky gently brush the particles onto the wet paint before your clear-coat and it gives a rust-textured look as if it had rusted through the paint. I've done it a few times to brand new bikes to give them an old look.

TheItGuy wrote:
outskirtscustoms wrote:

I worked at a "scenic art" shop in Fl, and we had a client that wanted some faux iron beams made for his loft apartment, but he wanted them to look rusty and old. The beams were made out of styro-foam with a plastic coating. After we got the patina painted on them, we glued on metal shavings that had been collected from a brake shop(from when they turned rotors), gave them a spritz with lemon juice, let set overnight, clearcoated the whole thing in flat and they looked great.

Back