Toolbox FULL of bike tools...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not really a find, but more of a gift. It's been slow here at the Ford dealer, so I've been bringing my bikes here to work to pass the time. A guy who works here mentioned that his stepdad who passed away used to be a bicycle mechanic off and on for several years.While cleaning out a shed out back,he came across his old toolbox. I guess he noticed me working on my bikes & struggling a bit with automotive tools,cuz he gave it to me,full of tools! The only thing he couldn't find was his wheel truing stand :? . Oh well,beggars can't be choosers. Here are a few pics of what I got. I'm not even sure what a lot of these are for!

IMAG0574.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

wow, that's a jackpot.

last photo, bottom row, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tool from the left are chainring straightening tools. One is obviously home made. You can straighten your chain rings while they are on the bike.

and in that same photo, the tool all the way to the left, is that a VAR 2nd hand brake tool? I think it is.

edit: actually I think one of the tools I am saying is a chainring straightener is for toeing in brake shoes on a caliper brake (the Park one).

WOW, nice coworker. There is a lot of money sitting there. I hope you plan on buying him lunch for a week or so. Or at least the beers after work are on you for awhile. Nice set of tools. Enjoy.

We always help each other out here. I've worked on his Toyo Tacoma rock crawler several times and never charged him a dime. I will be sure to take care of lunch for a while too. Thanks for the info on these guys. They've already made working on these two-wheeled machines much easier 8)

If you have an extra Park HCW1 I'd love to buy it from you! Killer score!

Great score..the ones your not to sure what they are or do..send them to me..lol..

man have i felt your frustration in automitive tools on bicycles! LOL thats an awesome score for sure. now go buy a trueing stand! haha

Maybe I should just use the search function or at least post in the How-To section, but since truing stands have been mentioned, how difficult is it to lace & true a wheel? Do I need a $200-300 one? Or will one of the $70-100 be ok? Or can I just rig up an old fork & a ball-ended dial-indicator? Thanks for the help guys!

You will want to get the head set cup adaptors for the press toll before you use it, otherwise you will be pushing on the outer flange of the headset cup. Not a real big deal for steel cups and old bikes but on a newer alumium headset you can damage the cups if you aren't pressing on the bearing seat.

Great score that's a lot of vintage quality Park stuff there.

fordmike65 said:
Maybe I should just use the search function or at least post in the How-To section, but since truing stands have been mentioned, how difficult is it to lace & true a wheel? Do I need a $200-300 one? Or will one of the $70-100 be ok? Or can I just rig up an old fork & a ball-ended dial-indicator? Thanks for the help guys!

You should come out to one of the SoCal Rat Rod Rides. Mad Max built a truing stand using a back half of an old mountain bike and some dials. He trued a couple wheels for me, and it works great.

Back