trail rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mock up pics of my 50's columbia "mountain bike" aka clunker.

june-july-2007189.jpg

june-july-2007187.jpg

june-july-2007188.jpg

I'll probably take the tank off before any off roading so it doesn't get damaged. I'm also looking for a nexus 3 or 7 for the rear and smaller width tires, it has 2.6 inch tires on it in the pictures believe it or not. I'll post more pics when it's done. :mrgreen:

ARE THOSE 24 INCH TIRES?! I Want some for my build bike i got a 24/2.125 on mine

That Looks Sick Armand...

those "Skull Skates" Bars really make it look awesome..
and The Forks are SWEET!

That Saddle has been sitting under my Stairs for almost 2 years!
Glad it Found a good Home...

The Build is Looking Great Armand!!!
Now I have to keep up with The Jone's :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Rat Rod said:
This puppy looks like it needs a motor and a number plate up front. :D

Cool bike!
Aww, now you just had to say that dian't you? Now I need to build a clunker styled motobike. I dig that look, that is a great looking bike armandgil. Those meaty tires look awsome on that bike. Just a sugestion, I think an old style drum brake would look great laced into the front wheel, my .02...Kelly

cman said:
I like it.

I would leave the big tires and figure out some gears.......Done.

Clancy

Thanks guys!
I am waiting for word on a nexus 7spd for it. Nice and clean look and no derailer to rip off in the bush. And I also have a bolt on derailer hanger coming for it just in case. But either way it will be geared! :mrgreen:

armandgil said:
cman said:
I like it.

I would leave the big tires and figure out some gears.......Done.

Clancy

Thanks guys!
I am waiting for word on a nexus 7spd for it. Nice and clean look and no derailer to rip off in the bush.

I'm working on it Armand..
I'm working on it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kev.

fini

Columbia clunker is finished! That's what I decided anyway. Gave up on the gearing issue...too expensive and lost interest. It is geared pretty easy, 44 front, 20 rear, so I probably won't need gears. Parts breakdown from what I can remember:

1950's Columbia frame
26" BMX style fork
Skull skates bars
BMX stem
Oury oldschool grips
Brooks B-17 seat
Redline chromoly 1 piece crank with an aluminum tioga sprocket
BMX platform pedals
Kenda 26"x2.6" tires
Araya 26"x1.5" rims with a bullseye front hub and a drum brake rear hub.
I do have a Morrow rear hub that I might lace up this winter for it.

summer2007325.jpg

summer2007323.jpg

That looks great. Simple and sweet. The crome strait blade fork with the skull skates handle bars make it happen.

I have that same frame and a nexus 3 speed wheel set on the way to me right now. I'm inspired!

It's been out on the trails and has a SWEET new set of tires on it. The kenda's I had on it were just too big, it was like trying to pedal a tractor. I actually prefer riding this to my Intense so I stole the tires off of the Intense and it is MUCH better. I did get some gears for it,(thanks to CCR for sharing his 4 speeds)a nexus 4 speed will get laced up as soon as I get it. :mrgreen:

bikes022.jpg

bikes023.jpg

armandgil= Once again great bike should be sweet with the nexus4. It would be a blast to go out and blow away some high dollar MTB.

Looks great!! I would love to ride that around on the dirt more than a mountain bike. The oury grips are awesome, I have the same style in red, it's like suspension for your hands! :D

Back