Training for a race...tips?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I only have 6 weeks to train for a 21 mile race. I am going to ride a 45 pound bike and I want to finish in less than an hour. I did alright two years ago on the same bike. I am in decent shape, but not as good as then. Does anyone on here race road bikes? Do you have any good 6 week training tips.

I am going to do some work to the bike to make it a better fit and more comfortable even though it will loose some of the "hot rod" aesthetics. It hurt to sit after the last race.

I am thinking about riding 13 miles to and from work twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays and maybe 20miles on Saturdays keeping my speed as close to 20mph as I can. Then take a break from biking at all for the last week exept a leisurly ride a day or two before the race.

This is my uneducated in racing plan. I would love to hear if this should be fine or if there is a more optimal way. I don't want to over do it, but I certainly don't want to under do it either. Should I be looking for a certain rpm range or gear ratio, heart rate...?

Your plan sounds good!

I've never done a rode race, but ive trained for /ran marathons around the same distance.

I would mix in some low mile'age HIGH speed runs between your long rides.

AND i wouldnt rest a full week before the ride.. your going to want to stay active on the bike, with a rest period no longer than the rest period's you were taking during your training. A race should just be another day of "training" to your body. That is when you will perform best.

Some tips that may help make your race a little easier:

Carb load the night before the race (pasta, pizza, just get those carbs!)
Stretch and get REALLY loose before each and every ride, especially race day!

the most important thing in my eyes... CONTROL your breathing, the key to my long distance running success, is slow steady breathing.

I have not been in a bicycle race before. I have completed a mountainous century.

I also recommend short but fast rides. Stretch and warm up, then sprint for a bit. Then slow wayyyy down for a long bit. For every minute you sprint, take it easy for seven minutes. If you feel like crap after seven minutes, take it easy for ten. If you sprint up hills you will notice an even greater effect. I found that short and fast rides up steep hills made me faster than any long distance ride.

If you are not comfortable riding in groups, some group rides wouldn't be a bad idea either. Your LBS should know of, or even host, group rides. These are usually over varied terrain and paced to the group that shows up. There's tons of roadie etiquette, and these rides will be a great place to learn it without making anybody mad.

You can make training really technical by tracking your heart rate, rpms, speed, calories burned, water consumed, miles, elevation gain, and so on. I suspect that this won't be fun for you. And if it isn't fun, you won't do it. I trained by feel. If my rides felt easy, I went faster, longer, and up more hills. If I felt like I was hurting myself, I took it easy for a few days. I knew my body on the day of the ride, as opposed to some numbers, and paced myself appropriately. I am happy with how the ride went. My train-by-numbers-friend was not happy with her ride because some numbers weren't right.

That all makes sense. I think the train by feel is what I will have to do. I am looking for some biking groups locally. I have a great hill to train on nearby. Thanks for the tips.

Back