Treasures in the South

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after Christmas my son and I saw this little beauty in an antique shop (no we were not actually in the shop but outside throwing rocks at eachother) and he decided it needed a new home.

4444733760_a4035a6617.jpg

Now after a little time in the blast cabinet and some red metalic flake paint viola.

4444540542_82c4a6c604.jpg

Our finishing touch will be the 49cc motors that are on their way via big brown truck. :mrgreen:

Thanks

It is a 50's Western Flyer X53 Super

I tried to convince him to leave it crusty and ride as is but thank goodness he didnt listen this time. :mrgreen:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I'd motorize the Huffy, but leave the X53 as is, beautiful bike.

I promise not to alter the frame in any way while mounting the motor...

There is no way I could convince my Son that I get the motor and he has to pedal.

sweet ride! i love my x-53 even in its ratty state.
IMG_4767.jpg

rusty or not, you'd love it anyway. they rock!

do ya mind if i ask how much you paid? these things seem to fetch a small fortune fully restored.

btw. unless you plan on welding all the drop outs, i highly advise not mounting a motor to the x-53. there made with real thin steel also.
i've broken the tack welds on both rear drop outs cruising on the bike (i'm 142lbs on a good day, and i don't ride it hard) my x-53 is in the worst state of its life, and it still looks to be in nicer condition than the one you started with.

a motor could spell trouble.

Paid $45 for it.

I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb after it was blasted and didnt find any fractures or stress points. But that is half the fun of having old stuff, never know how far you are going to make it.....always an adventure.

45 bucks for an x-53 - my jaw is on the floor!

but then again i got mine for mostly free: it was the parts i had to pay for... heres mine

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

im all for pushing the limits of customizing these older "rare" bikes - but having a motor on an x-53.... it needs to be a whizzer motor! :mrgreen:

look at my screen name and you'll figure out what I like in the first pic. :p
bikes are cool too.

really like those x-53 ,s myself ,here.s mine
x-53.jpg

i hear the parts for these are hard to find ,i picked this one up for 100.00 put some after market chrome fenders on it and some monark spingers i got from a member here ,i;ve heard ther are repop tanks for these but havent found one yet;not sure wat im gonna do with this one ? maybe flip it ? looks like all the work you've done on yer,s paid off looks good !

Wow, great job - and I'm lovin' that design! Awesome bike.

never noticed till now, but why did ya loose the skip tooth? too cool to loose.

time to relace that hub on those new rims. :)

Back