Trek Lime a Trek & a Fuji

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I had some luck today ...
DSC00144_zpsdc389c59.jpg

DSC00145_zpsf39cabd8.jpg

DSC00148_zps84592a8c.jpg

DSC00147_zps3436620b.jpg

DSC00149_zps0e363308.jpg

Re: Two Treks & a Fuji WOW

Trek "Lime". Fully automatic, electric shift, 3 speed. Shimano hubs.

I test rode one for just a couple miles. Geared very low. I was in high gear going up a hill. Meant for people who just can't figure out what gears are for in cars or bikes. Like all automatic shifting bikes, it will shift when you don't want it to like when you are pedaling hard up a steep hill. Best for riders who think 10 mph is flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WILOGiUpYY

Re: Two Treks & a Fuji WOW

I have only had time to try the bike on Level ground I liked the novelity of not shifting & it glided right along ( I miss back pedaling though )
..Also I wonder what the bike will do on Hills ?? But it is fun to ride .. :D Thanks for the Link.
rickpaulos said:
Trek "Lime". Fully automatic, electric shift, 3 speed. Shimano hubs.

I test rode one for just a couple miles. Geared very low. I was in high gear going up a hill. Meant for people who just can't figure out what gears are for in cars or bikes. Like all automatic shifting bikes, it will shift when you don't want it to like when you are pedaling hard up a steep hill. Best for riders who think 10 mph is flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WILOGiUpYY

I didn't know the Trek Lime existed. NOW I WANT ONE! I am constantly amazed at the bikes I find out about that I've never heard of. My search is on for a Trek Lime. :!: :!: :!:

That is awesome! Man my mom would love that! Is this a coaster brake bike then? I saw where the video said they no longer offered a free wheel version of the bike? so...?

thom said:
I didn't know the Trek Lime existed. NOW I WANT ONE! I am constantly amazed at the bikes I find out about that I've never heard of. My search is on for a Trek Lime. :!: :!: :!:

here is one in Iowa City. Craigslist. Large size frame. $250 which is about 1/2 msrp. I think the asking price was $275 yesterday so perhaps the seller is motivated to sell.
http://iowacity.craigslist.org/bik/3888945642.html

two on ebay tonight. one at BBC so the price is high. one beat up a bit.

rick

BTW, about 15/20 years ago, Shimano made the "Auto-D 4 speed" system. Same concept, but required batteries instead of using the dyno front hub. Similar servo mounted near the bb to pull the shift cable that ran to the rear internally geared hub. But the slick feature of the Auto-D was the mode switch that allowed for conservative or aggressive shift points and a third mode for manual shift with soft touch shift buttons. That 3rd mode was the best. You shift when you want, not some transistors that just can't predict your riding. The soft touch worked very well. Shimano sent a bunch of kits to various bike manufactures to see how they would incorporate them into bikes, then Shimano hauled those demo bikes around to a bunch of bike dealer shows to try to generate interest among dealers. I got to ride some and they were really nice. The Lime has a dumbed down version, no mode selection, just fully automatic and a very conservative gearing. The only improvement the system on the Lime was the use of a generator front hub to power the servo (no batteries needed) and to provide the info for the shift points. ie, the faster you go, the higher the voltage the hub puts out so that voltage could be used to trigger the servo. I recall the Auto-D used a traditional magnet in the spokes & sensor to measure wheel speed and shift accordingly.

rick

Latest posts

Back