Trials Bike Repair

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to my new passion for Rat Rod Bicycles, I've been an avid motorcyclist for many years. I compete in Motorcycle Observed Trials.

During my last event, I lost a main crank bearing - so I've had to split the engine cases to make necessary repairs. Not a fun job. So far, this has been the biggest PITA of any "wrenching" I've ever had to do.

Bottom bracket work, wheel bearing replacement, or anything bicycle related would be a cake walk compared to this headache !

On a positive note, I just got two "freebie" 26" Cruisers given to me within the last couple of weeks - hopefully I can get some of my motorcycle stuff finished up so I can get back to bicycles in the near future !

Sherco2.jpg

ShercoEngine.jpg

Sherco.jpg

Resto

Too cool, resto !!
I had to split the cases on an old Honda Elsinore I had years
ago, and yes, it is a royal PITA !!! I needed an impact driver
to get the screws out and I replced them all with allen head
bolts.
Ive been riding since '74 ! I cant count how many bikes Ive had !
A lot...all differnt kinds too....
I dont know too much about trials though. A Sherco is really
a new Bultaco, right ??
I have a DR650 Suzuki that I have heavily modded and enter
off-road events on. Its sort of like the bikes we celebrate here...
Heavy and big !! :lol: But I can make real time on it when necassary :shock:

Anyway...Nice bike and pics

Lem

Lem,

You know your stuff ! Yes... Sherco is the new Bultaco. Bultaco went under in the 80's and was resurrected in '99 under the name Sherco/Bultaco. I believe it was in '02 that they simplified the name to Sherco.

Luckily, Sherco uses Allen metrics for all engine bolts. No Phillips - No impact driver needed - so that helps a bit. Still, it is a thankless repair job.

I have a couple of old Elsinores in my collection: A '74 Elsinore 250 and a rare '74 Elsinore MR50.

The Suzuki DR650 is a fantastic machine. Although it's heavy, nothing makes up for that awesome torque to be had from a big displacement 4-stroke.

Safe Riding !

Resto

I feel your pain Resto I have split many cases on motorcycles, ATV's, and snowmobiles. NOT FUN. I worked at a Polaris/Arctic Cat dealer for 7 years as a mechanic. Trials is a great activity I just don't have the balance. Troy

Latest posts

Back