Triangle Handlebars...They came w/ a good bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been wanting a set of these Triangle Handlebars for awhile.... I had a set of them on my First "MTB", and loved them til they cracked, (as I was told they tended to do under stressful use... hence they don't make them anymore).
I was surfing CL and I saw these handlebars on a " Hybrid Commuter " bike ....
Only $35.00, I didn't care what the bike was like, it was a good deal just for the bars....

Turns out the bike is Great... Lugged Frame ...Six speed shifts great... The seat is Real Comfortable, and has those double springs ... I know reflectors in the wheels is " Dorky ", but the yellow and red are so Vibrant, they're staying ... It's got cool fenders, with no dents ... The tires are Great tread ... and the wheels are Spotless Chrome, true and straight ...

PICT4776.jpg

PICT4777.jpg

PICT4780.jpg

A couple of things I need help with though...
I'm thinking its early 80's because of the bars, and a metal spoke protector ...
The bike is a "Trails West" ... I couldn't find anything about it .?.?.?
It's headbadge is a big "W" ...

PICT4785.jpg

It has a Sticker on the up tube that reads " TA 003 Tubing " and to the left of it is the serial stamp, an odd place for it I've never seen it up high like that ....

PICT4779.jpg

PICT4784.jpg

Finally the hand grips look like "Schwinn BMX" They have the Schwinn "S" all over them .... They have an old school look to them ... You BMX ers out there let me know please ...

PICT4778.jpg

That's all ... For $35.00 I'm real happy with it. I rode it about 10 miles yesterday, just put a bit of oil on the chain, and it rode great.
I've been needing to do work on my Daily Rider, so this will be my regular bike for awhile I think ....

Good deal! I have never seen one like that but my guess judging by the "West" and the W being on the front would be it was distributed by Western Auto stores.

I recently came across a set of those bars equipped with two suntour Mighty shifter thumb shifters( the high quality ones identical to 1974 & up stingrays) ,they reminded me of old Vector one piece BMX bars like I had on my skyway TA & my Vector so I kept them.
Im thinking of incorporating them into my Rollfast rat project down the road.

I believe those bars were called "Bull Moose".
I'm looking at an old mtn bike with those style bars and the name is Black Diamond. Anyone heard of that company? It's not Diamond Back.

Your Trails West bike looks like bicycles manufactured by the Procycle Group in the province of Quebec in Canada. The Procycle Group also sold a brand name Takashiri, which also had TA 003 tubing. I don't know if there really is such a thing as "TA 003" tubing or it is just a sticker that they put on the frame.

The serial number for the bicycle is in the same location on the seat tube and has the same format as many other bicycles manufactured by the Procycle Group. Most of Procycle's bicycles are sold in Canada. It is interesting that you have this bicycle in Arizona. I guess some snowbirds must have brought it with them.

Bull Mouse handle bars were mostly put onto mountain bikes up until 1986.

Back