Tribute to a friend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday October 2nd, my daughter and I attended the second Rat Bike Rodeo in Galt, California. We brought our choppers to ride in a few of the events and we had a great time with a bunch of our friends. We left for home tired, but very much looking forward to the next rodeo. On the way we stopped for burgers at In-n-Out. The parking lot was packed, but we found a table where we could keep an eye on the bikes while we ate. All was fine when we stopped at the home of some friends where I was dropping off my daughter. It is in a good neighborhood in Elk Grove and I had absolutely no reservations about leaving our bikes tied-down in the back of my pickup. I didn’t lock the doors or even roll up the windows. MISTAKE! While we were in the house, my daughter’s O.C.C. chopper was stolen out of the back of my truck! We both were stunned and upset. I drove around for an hour hoping to find it, but to no avail. The next morning, I called my daughter to see how she was doing . . . still very upset. Later that day, after thinking about replacing her bike, I began considering how simple it would be to build a clone of her chopper. RRB Forum member, scrumblero, told me of a chrome O.C.C. in excellent condition on the C-list that would be a good starting point. I have a pair of ape hangers in the attic, and the grips and pedals would be no problem to get. The clone would undoubtably look nicer than the original.
But then I realized that there was something about her bike that could never be replicated. That was the bike that I was talking about in my forum intro. The first bike in our house. It was our first bike project. The first bike my daughter got her hands greasy with while learning how to pack wheel bearings. It was while searching for parts to rebuild that worn-out, crusty bike when I found my Schwinn. If not for finding that thing in the dumpster, I’m pretty sure that I would now have an Airdyne in the living room collecting dust, and I seriously doubt that my family & I would be having fun in this wonderful bike hobby. I would not be part of this forum. We would not be going on “Second Saturday” rides or to Rat Bike Rodeos. We would have not met countless fine folks and made dozens of new friends.

I am very touched by the responses and concern shown by my fellow board members after mentioning the theft of the bike in another thread. We lost a bike worth less than a hundred bucks, but because of having it for the time we did, the kids and I’ve gained a bunch of awesome friends like you . . . priceless! :D
Thanks guys and God bless you!

I'm willing to donate the StingRay I won in the raffle, if that's the style of bike you're looking for now.
I can stop by the Denios Swap for some new white wall tires and switch them out if you want the bike 8)
Kuttnhack has a couple of those OCCs in his stable to donate too if you want to go back to the chopper.
I know it's not the same, but we can get her rolling again soon :wink:
shoot me a p.m. if you need anything.
you're good people FP :mrgreen:

Mark, I wanna offer up the girls collegiate from burning man as well, it could be a nice rat project for you two to work on together, It will be parts if its hangs around here much longer.....

It's teh least i can do for a guy that loves OG pick-ups and took the time to have a cold one with the newb and explain the basics of Schwinn choppers.. :mrgreen:

what a great group of people on this forum! I am honored to be here!!

I've got a bunch of parts if you need anything, mostly department store stuff but I'll offer it. There are some great guys here and any of us would jump at the chance to help a friend in need. That is getting increasingly rare in this world.

sorry to hear her bike got stollen....but there is an off chance of getting it back.....karfers lucky 7 got ripped off awhile back be he got it back again(the story on how,where,etc. is somewhere in his original post)...so there is a small amount of hope.
either way you got her started with something she likes and no one can ever steal that from her

after some worthless coward takes away something you worked hard to pay for, then poured your heart and soul into, not to mention the quality family time, its so nice to have a happy ending. cant wait to see the pics. 8)

greg66 said:
RAY AND DAVE ARE GOOD GUYS.WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE THE GROUP OF BIKE PEOPLE LIKE THIS IN SACRAMENTO.
You are so right Greg!

X-RAY said:
after some worthless coward takes away something you worked hard to pay for, then poured your heart and soul into, not to mention the quality family time, its so nice to have a happy ending. cant wait to see the pics. 8)
Here's a link to our build . . . I'll be teaching my daughter how to post and add pictures. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33022

i checked it out and will follow it. very cool, im very impressed! 8)

Back