Tricks, tips, observastions, and thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love skip link chains. Many of us do. NOS is crazy expensive, used chains aren't cheap.
If you're using a "pieced together" chain with more than one master link, put all the masters, except one, facing one direction. The one master link faces towards the "outside" of the bike.

When "cleaning" the rust of of chrome, never use sand paper. Use #0000 steal wool, lubricating it with car wax.
I recently had a Morrow hub shell that was so scratched up, I had to take it to work and use an industrial polisher on it.

When 'scraping' for rubbing/polishing crug or rust off any surface, use a scraper made from something softer than the base metal or surface. For example, on steel, use a brass scraper, on other surfaces maybe even alum. or a credit card, etc. Always 'lube' or presoak the crud with even water; something to help soften the crud or scale before getting a bite at it with the scraper. This will minimize damaging the undersurface and even maintain patina.

I use PB Blaster or similar penetrating oils to lube chrome, rust inhibitor for plain steel. For Schwinn or similar quality chrome that isn't pitted yet, a wet Brillo pad will take it off quickly, and actually seems to retard further corrosion. :|

Latest posts

Back