Trike thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about building a trike rear end with a regular coaster brake hub. Could you replace the just the axle and extend it so it was several inches outside each rear drop out and put wheels on it? Run the chain to the hub just like like with any bike.

Would you need a shaft covering the axle that would be bolted to the drop outs and allow the axle to turn and freewheel?

Is it easier to just buy a trike rear end?

Thoughts?

i thought i was gonna do something similar once. ran into clearance issues between pedals and back wheels. my plan is to build my own rearend that moves the wheels back enough for clearance. not sure how it will work yet. wish i had more info for you, but definately leave your crank in while mocking it up so you dont get the surprise i did.

The problems I see would be-
As noted above, the rear wheels would be WAY too close to the cranks.
The axel would flex/bend without being in a housing.
You would also have a true posi drive where both wheels would be turning together. You would have a heck of a time turning with both wheels locked like that. Ever try to drive a 4x4 with the front dif engaged on dtry ground? It binds and hops like crazy.

Just my 2 cents.

I think I'll just build a trailer!

All very good points to consider. The problems could probably best be solved by spending a little on a trike rear end kit.

Sounds like the way to do it.

i dont want to discourage you, go ahead and try it. i just wanted you to be aware of the clearance. by the way, my plan was to put the wheels on the outside of the dropouts, and i was using a 16" kids bike for my son.if you use a normal sized bike and/or space the wheels out enough, you may be ok. i havent got far enough to figure out the drive part, as bri in ri is correct. i'll probably get lazy and just drive one side. :)

Back