truss rods on a 26" fatty fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the springer i have wouldn't fit my frame so im back to the stock front fatty fork. its a 26" fork and i want to put struss rods on it. my question is, the steer tube is already cut to the size for the frame. will there be enough room for the bracket of the truss rods on the steer tube if i remove the stock washer ? the one with the notch in it.

2nd will there be enough thread on the axle to attach the struts ? i know this is a vague question but i want some idea.
also where can one buy rep truss rods ?

thanks for any help.

Don't have any pics posted yet, but I'm installing a set on my 'Amsterback' bike.
Now, if you consider the reason why truss rods were used in the first place, they added rigidity to the old blade-style forks of their era. They offer only as an 'aesthetic' to a modern 'bmx-inspired' cruiser 'fatty fork'.

My issue in installing mine were at both ends. First, at the fork end, my wheel has a quick release on it so i had to cut the bottoms off to slide them over the axle and on the inside of the fork, not the traditional outside position. Once that was addressed, they were too long! My 'modern' MTB frame has too short a head tube, so I had to fabricate some extensions to the truss rod bracket. Again, since they were only for looks, it shouldn't be a problem.

In your case, if I remember correctly, you're working on an OP cruiser,right? The head tube on it is pretty long, so you should be OK. It's so long in fact, that you may have to flip the bracket upside down for it to 'reach down' to the rods.

I say go for it, truss rods add an instant 'vintage' feel to a bike, even if they're just for looks. :wink:

yup going for the "look" thats all. and it is on an OP bike. the head tube is really long on it, thats why i couldnt use the springer i have.

i will be posting pics of the slight changes ive made so far.

looks forward to seeing your photos.

Make your own. Mine are for show also so I just welded them to the bottom of the fork.
forkdetail.jpg

i built some cool ones from a few sets of forks

DSCN3661.jpg

DSCN3670.jpg

pure just a look thing, they dont do a thing but they did fit

no welding

Back