Tubing Bender input

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a tubing bender. Have looked at the JD2 model3 and the Pro-Tools 105. Does anyone have any input? Also what would be some good dies to start off with for frame building.

Thanks

I have a JD2 model 3 bender. I bought it to make chopper bicycle forks. It works really good. As for which dies you need. Each die bends only one radius. You can bend it more or less degrees but the radius is still the same. You can also have a custom die made. You will have to figure out your frame design first to figure which dies you are using. Then there are different size tubing also. You can't bend a 1/2 inch tube in a 3/4 inch die. You can but it won't come out right. So each die is for a certain size tubing and certain bend radius. Hope this helps.

Here is a pic of my bender

I have the jd2 bender also. I have a 1'' 180 degree die. You might get real creative and build
a frame with it , but you really need a Harbor Freight roller bender to go with it. They will
do the long curved bends that a jd2 won't do. If your happy building a Worksman style frame
then its possible with a jd2

DSCF0004-5.jpg

You are walking a slippery and expensive slope :wink:
Think carefully exactly which tubes you would be bending, not only the size of the tubing, but the radius of the bend. JD2 makes far more tubing radius now than they did a couple of years ago... also, be very mindful of the thickness of the tubing the dies are for. Again, JD2 are making more dies for .065 wall tubing now than they had previously. Making a mistake and getting dies for sizes you will not use regularly costs you money and limits the types of bends you will be able to make...

Second Uncle Stretch recommendation for the more affordable tubing roller from Harbor Freight... if you go this route (highly recommended) look into SwagOffroad.com for additional dies for other size tubing and cool mods for the HF tubing roller (hydrallic pump, dies, pipe threader for electric threading over the wheel, )bed extensions, and a really cool assortment of other dies :) ) :mrgreen:

rich

Great input guys!

I was originally looking at the harbor freight pipe bender and roller. I was concerned about the dies because of it being for pipe. I have seen youtube videos of guys bending tube on it. I was just unsure I could get clean enough bends.

So are these aftermarket dies actually made for bending tubing. If so are the bends pretty clean? I have seen all the stuff about sand filling the tubes also. Does this work; does it really slow things down?

Thanks again

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html
This is the unit we are talking about, it will bend either pipe or tube. do not waiste your money on the HF pipe benders, most who do buy them find them to be too much trouble and not worth the time and effort. Yes, there are exceptions 8) but those that do manage to get good results with it are not from this planet :mrgreen: . Save your money and get the roller. If you want to bend lots of tight curves, either make your own hydraulic bender with the JD2 dies, or purchase the JD2 unit (or equivalent like as you mentioned, the ProTools unit).

The HF tubing roller and the SwagOffroad mods make the unit very easy to use and you cna get some decent repeatable results...

Than there is the old school way of hand bending, I'll dig up the links for that, it is a very reasonable technique for lowbuck bending, and is tried and trued but generations of ironworkers across the world :)

HTH

Rich

If you don't want really tight bends like in the chain and seat stays, you can build a form
like these by c.p.odom. I took a 10' piece of 1'' 16 gauge and put a clamp on an outside table
with a metal edge. Its welded to a big piece of pipe in the ground. I walked the 1'' around the
edge and made a nice 3' circle. I was huffing and puffing at the end, but its doable.
These were used by Mr Odom to bend his frame tubing.
As a warning if you are bending tubing around something and it breaks or slips...Be prepared to bleed some. :oops:

SPEC-FRAME-05.jpg

Interesting. I never thought about going that route. I may have to try that. Those appear to be curves like what I was hoping for.

Which, I love your bikes. Got any new builds going on?

I think he made a groove between the two boards for the tubing to be in. Maybe run a router
around and create a rounded slot, if that makes sense.
Thanks, I just posted my last build in the Gallery section.

Pretty much think I will need the roller for sure. I will end most likely getting the HF one and picking up the other dies.

May wait on the bender for a bit.

Well, finally bit the bullet and took the hit for a bender.

I ended up going with a Pro-Tools 105 HD with a 1"x4-1/2x240 Die Set to get things started. Working on getting the HF roller next.

Thanks for all the help

Stacey

Just curious....

Would the JD2 Model 3 have any problem bending chainstays like these?

Would you just make the first bend, pull out the tube, turn it around the other way and make the second bend?

Back