Two, 2 Speed Kickback Automatic Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-speed kickbacks are my favorite.

Had a blue band as a kid on my Sting Ray back in 1965, the blue band is has standard to high gear, most I believe are 28 spokes, for 20 inch wheels.

The yellow and red bands are low gear to standard, mostly for 36 spoke 26 inch wheels.

I have a yellow band on my aluminum composite Captain America Razor bike.

And red bands on my aluminum composite Alumasled bike, on my Beer bike ( beer labels covered Cleveland Welding frame), and my RRBBO3 bike the Rust Rat. Even got a late 1940s Schwinn Continential (garage sale find) that someone had replaced the wheels with S-5s with a red band. And I have 4 more for future builds. Most of these were from Schwinn Breeze and Co-ed bikes, and I laced or had laced to the wider wheels.

The green band I believe is bogus. There are no 3 speed kickback hubs to my knowledge.

Once your master the 2-speed kickback mentality (remembering which gear your in after you brake) they are great.

hutch73 said:
has anyone re-laced these so you can run a wider tire than stock schwinn?

Laced one to a standard rim for my RRBO1 bike
blue_rim2.jpg

hey FO, do you know what size spokes for a 700 rim and do they make 36 spokes in 700? thanks, i want to lace my redband to one for my Superbee.

Outlaw

Korporal said:
I doubt the green banded hub is a hoax. Karfer is knowledgeable, and willing to share. While he could be feeding us all crapy info, he hasn't in the past.

ive asked karfer(adam) about it, im sure he'll let anyone else know the background on it too.

red and yellow bands - 2 speeds, normal and underdrive(low gear) great for hilly areas, they say "automatic" on the brake arm. the difference is the brakes, the red uses a set of discs kinda like a clutch pack, the yellow band uses normal shoes like the single speed coaster hubs do (the blue band uses the same brake shoes as the yellow)

blue band - 2 speeds, normal and overdrive( high gear), the blue bands were used on 20 inch bikes, the stingrays had 36th sprockets, the competetion had faster gearing, served as a perk to keep up with the others kids bikes IMO. the only bluebands ive seen/got are 28hole hubs. they say "overdrive" on the brake arm

Back