Two lightweight Schwinns !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Checked out a couple lightweight Schwinns on the local Craigslist yesterday. Both Sturmey Archer 3 speeds.
A 1970 Racer...
cl%20ad%202_zpsnlaq8yzv.jpg

and a 1979 Colleigate 3...
cl%20ad%201_zpsxbyakwes.jpg

Seller promised he could load them in our car and we could make the 60 mi trip home without damage. He was right !
IMG_1631_zpsxqlo8ped.jpg

We don't have a bike rack.

Super nice clean bikes! The 1979 will need tires tho they are pretty bad in the sidewalls - maybe old gumwalls ?

BTW - My wife and I took them both for a test ride and I liked the Blue bike and my wife liked the red one so we bought em both.

Well, 45 year old tires on the red Racer did not survive a 19 mile ride. :eek:
Rear tire blew sidewall right where steel bead area was bonded to sidewall. Time for new rubber!

Well, 45 year old tires on the red Racer did not survive a 19 mile ride. :eek:
Rear tire blew sidewall right where steel bead area was bonded to sidewall. Time for new rubber!

Just take note of what Bicycle808 said--tire size of 597mm is mandatory on these rims. The Kenda K23 is one of the only tires of that size still in production.

Update on these bikes - new gumwall Kendas on the red Racer and blackwall Kendas on the blue Collegiate.
IDK what happened, But when I pulled the Collegiate's tires off Both wheels were full of water! :eek:
Let them dry out and painted with conversion coating and paint.

Good choice for tires. Gumwall tires are actually popular in modern urban bikes again. I also think it now is a popular to break up color on a one color bike. They update the original tires adding a spash of speed racer. While popular in the seventees, chrome fenders aleady break the color and blackwalls update the collegiates appearance.
0396147b9d34fa7bfa83795e2a9592d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back