two more English three speeds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I braved the 90+ temps today and went to the local flea market. I scored a red Triumph and a black Rudge, both three speeds. I paid $100 for the pair. I believe both will clean up nicely and make good riders. I am going to limit my purchases to three speed bikes from now on (yeah right). They are my favorites, especially English bikes. My wife and I will be making a trip to London early next year. That will be interesting.
20200718_104933.jpg

20200718_105059.jpg
20200718_105123.jpg
20200718_105140.jpg

The Rudge will lose it's basket and gain a chain. I like the double center stands like the Rudge has. Wonder if it is original to the bike? The date on the S/A hub of the Rudge appears to be 1971. I question that as being correct.

The Rudge is definitely mid sixties or later. Clues are the bands on the seattube. Hard to tell if the pedals have reflectors which would also make it mid or later sixties. If the shifter is all metal, no plastic face plate, that too would be mid sixties, later sixties had the plastic face. The presence of the hand chainring also indicates mid sixties, I don't recall the year the chainring changed to the Raleigh style. I had a few Rudges, great bikes to ride, premium quality. The Triumph was a slightly lower quality bike in the components used and it too looks to be mid to later sixties. If you are going to stick with English bikes, spring for a Sturmey spanner for the rear hub and a quality cotter press.

The Rudge is missing the tire pump and I would like to find one for it.

My wife and I braved the 90+ temps today and went to the local flea market. I scored a red Triumph and a black Rudge, both three speeds. I paid $100 for the pair. I believe both will clean up nicely and make good riders. I am going to limit my purchases to three speed bikes from now on (yeah right). They are my favorites, especially English bikes. My wife and I will be making a trip to London early next year. That will be interesting.
View attachment 129430
View attachment 129431View attachment 129432View attachment 129433
The Rudge will lose it's basket and gain a chain. I like the double center stands like the Rudge has. Wonder if it is original to the bike? The date on the S/A hub of the Rudge appears to be 1971. I question that as being correct.
i had a 75, I can't resist that chainwheel when I find one but I don't fit on a sport.

Latest posts

Back