Two old bikes from ENGLAND ????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 old Phillips bikes this morning and I know nothing about old English Bikes.

The Blue one has 28 inch tires :shock:

the red one has 26 and is very cool!
The Blue one will be lawn art for my Aunt who has always wanted one..and the Red one..will be a cool Girls Rat!

If anyone knows anything about the Value of old English bikes I'd love to know,
Thanks,
Kev.
0119.jpg

0121.jpg

0122.jpg

those are both pretty cool but the red one with the long head tube upfront and the sprocket would make a really cool rat sometimes the womens frames all look the same if they dont have tank but that frame stands out I think

Cool bikes. Never heard of them.
The down tubes remind me of a suspension bridge. So one has a brace between the tubes and the other dosen't?
That sprocket is really neat especially if your first or last name were Phillip(s).
Those are some tall goosenecks.

There are two guys on Bikeforums.net (Classic and Vintage section) who seem to know a great deal about Raleighs and English bikes in general. They are cudak888 (also some on Schwinn Forum) and Sammyboy (who lives in Great Britain). In my opinion, the blue Phillips is too nice to go in Auntie's yard. Find her something not worth saving. Good luck!

The blue bike is all cleaned up and left stock.I actually have it for sale for $100.00 OBO

I found another for me Auntie for lawn art.

The Red one is almost finished...next week I hope.

Kev.

and thanks very much for the Contacts P.R. I will send them a few questions I'm sure...

Phillips like many other old English bike and parts manufacturers were absorbed into Raleigh Industries over the years and slowly disappeared. Rudge, Triumph and BSA which were quality brands in the day all became badge engineered Raleighs before being killed off. Few brands survived being owned by Raleigh, Sturmey Archer was sold off to Sunrace of Taiwan with a scandalous disregard for the workers, Brooks saddles escaped by virtue of a management buyout and are now doing really well. Raleigh dont manufacture any bikes in the UK now.

And.... Its likely that The Phillips brand was used by Raleigh for export to the US as Raleigh UK and Raleigh USA were two different companies. They similarly resurected the Rudge brand for export to South Africa. Your bikes are most definitely export only models, weve never taken to coaster brakes in the UK although they are very common in the rest of Europe. British law also requires all bikes to have a brake on the front and back wheels.

Back