Two tone paint and clear coat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this and need your help please.

I am painting my old 41 Schwinn using U-POL rattle can paint. I plan to do a two tone color with original graphics. My question is when do I apply the clear coat? After each color is applied, or just once after both colors have been painted. To the best of my understanding doesn't the clear coat have to be applied while the colored paint is still curing.
Starting from a primed and ready for paint bike: I assume I need to spray first color, followed by clear coat before colored paint cures. Let it cure, then tape, sand and clean. Spray second color followed by clear coat again?

Thanks for your input,
T

I dont know about that paticular brand and having to topcoat it while the paint is still curing. By all means follow the directions on the can but I have always primed, painted first color, let dry completely, then mask and paint 2nd color, remove tape, let dry and clearcoat entire bike. If you clearcoat between colors I dont think you would have as good adhesion with the 2nd color. 8)

i would think you should wait till both colors are done before clearing the frame then clear the frame as a whole

Bump...

I'm trying to be good and use old threads instead of clogging RRB with new ones. :)

How long do you need to wait before taping off the bike to add the second color? I am using acrylic aerosol paint (Dupont automotive). It flashes dry really fast but how long does it take to cure, so that I can safely apply tape to mask off for the contrast color?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks...I, too, will probably also wait around a week just to be safe. I don't have the paint YET, but reading the can instructions is a good idea too.. :oops: :lol:

mastronaut said:
Annika said:
Thanks...I, too, will probably also wait around a week just to be safe. I don't have the paint YET, but reading the can instructions is a good idea too.. :oops: :lol:

You wouldn't happen to be blond would you? hehe... 8)

Well yes, BUT, in my defense, I'm skeptical that the can would have specific instructions for how long to wait before putting sticky masking tape on it! It'll have instructions for how long to wait before recoating, but usually that assumes you're just applying more of the same color.

That bike looks fantastic, mastronaut...did you use super-narrow pinstriping tape to mask off those tight curves? And you applied it after flash-drying? It seems like the tape would lift all of it off! (Got an all-finished photo? I'd love to see it.) :)

I'll ask the paint guy, too. If he's worth his salt he'll know a thing or two about the specific type of paint I'll be buying.

mastronaut said:
I lost you Annika which bike are you referring to?

Argh.....it's been a blonde couple of days. The bike is sensor's.....not yours.

I'm just going to go sit in a corner now. :lol:

Latest posts

Back