Typhoon with Ape Hangers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, this photo makes this bike look WAY cleaner than it is. You can't see all the krust-tastic rust spots.

:lol:

typhoon.jpg

I like those Typhoon frames the best from that time period of Schwinn. The apes are a simple change that give them a great look.

Someone on ebay was selling a bike with a frame just like mine. They said it was a '62 and they only made that frame (with the straight bottom bar) for one year. I have no idea if that is true, but I am glad to have it.

I hate to screw with it's appearance too much, but thought those bars added a certain something to it. I think the only other thing I want to do is add a better headlight.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Sweet...true rat. :!:

emot-eng101.gif
The Typhoon/Ape combo IS the quintessential or Alpha-Rat hot rod bike ! RatRod 101. Timeless !! In black is so nice, too.......

Nice ride!

IMO, not only do the apes make it look good- they make bikes ride more comfortably, as well. I'm a tall guy, and hunching over for stock cruiser bars does not bode well for my back.

Hey u want a new headlight, Ill let my buddy know maybe u can trade he needs that same one for his fleet. Can u post pics of head light? Thanks. ill get back 2 u....Its up 2 him though so yeah...

Looks great, nice an' simple with a traditional touch - I like it. :D And those "krust-tastic rust spots" only add to the character.

-Mp

That link is deleted, but I'm sure it is a '62. I found a Schwinn Ad indicating it was made in '62, no concrete evidence that it was the only year it was made, but any other year Typhoon I have seen is the traditional cantilvever.

Someone sent me a PM indicating that they refer to the '62 Typhoon in a Schwinn book as being the only one with this straightbar frame. So, there we have it, it's a '62.

Thanks Rickster, with your luck, you'll find one in a dumpster this afternoon! :)

Latest posts

Back