Un-named Boardtrack Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...here's my first bike "build." Ive really gotten into things lately...been ebaying and flea market searching every chance I get...this is a disease! 8)
This is the free scrap pile Schwinn my brother found...somewhere between a '47 and a '52 the best I can figure.

fff002.jpg

Worked on it most of the day yesterday... bought these off ebay and they were waiting on me when I got home from the flea market

BW1ZkbwBWkKGrHgoOKjEjlLmZDmvBKZRTg1.jpg

Was from a girl's bike so I had to use a spare collar and grind the threads down smooth to use as a spacer...so far so good. :D

Here it is mocked up.

RatBike1002.jpg

The "tank" is a piece cut from an old rusted wheel barrow and isnt attached yet. The rear fender is off a old Hawthorne and still needs to be adjusted and attached. The seat is off an old huffy and was manufactured in TN (my home) so it had to go on. IM planning on a layed back seat post...
flipping the bars more than likely...and a peaked rusted front Columbia fender. Im having a couple of issues...the front wheel doesnt seem to want to fit right. Its off a old 60s huffy...when i tighten the nuts snug..then it wont roll...when i loosen them enough to roll...the wheel is wobbly from side to side. What gives? Do I need spacers or??? Thanks for looking!

Sounds like either some wrong parts, or plum wore out. When you tighten the locknuts against the inner races("cones"), it pushes the "cone" closer, and sometimes they require ridiculously precise adjustment. I usually make one side extremely tight and fiddle with the other 'til I find the minuscule sweet spot.

There is a fine line on bearings. If you take the wobble out and then crank down on the outside nuts it probably tightens the inside nut too much. Maybe leave a little side to side play and then tighten the outside nut.. If you have a spanner wrench or a regular wrench sanded down real thin where you can hold the inside nut you may solve your problem....or it may be worn out bearings. :lol:

Thanks guys...been so many yrs since i messed with a bike...i was tightening the inner nuts as tight as they go... :oops: Some simple adjustments got rid of that. Painted my forks last night as was just getting them re assembled and it started storming bad here... :cry: Im thinking of moving it into my living room...hmmmm. haha You guys know what kind of light is supposed to be on these forks? Ive seen a few customs..just wondering what they looked like new. Thanks!!

Well I finally got some more time to mess with my Schwinn this evening. Put a different seat on...still waiting on my ebay lay-back post...and greased all the bearings...put the forks on and tightened it all up...put on my new chain...and new front fender im still not to sure i like. See the dimple moved forward of the forks? I like the fender where it is...but the dimple sucks : ( Also wondering what do you guys think of the rear rack? Was a NOS unit I found on Ebay a few weeks back...did some creative painting to try to make it look older. Not attached yet...just trying to see if I like it LOL Working on a side mounted tag bracket for the rear and still waiting on my ebay scored head light.

RatBike1a.jpg

HI guys. Just realized today after church...that my bike has a 3 speed hub! Ive never ridden it till today and was tooling around in my back yard to see if it was going to fall apart...and presto...gear change! I love it! I never had one like it before...are the hubs rare? Mine has 3 bands on it and i think they are red in the bands. The wheel was off a hawthorne bicycle i picked up in ashville NC at a swap meet. Im stoked now! :D

Ok...finally got around to taking another couple of pics. Rode my bike about 2 miles today and it rides great! The springer fork seems to absorb the bumps rather well. Had to re adjust the rear fender a tad...but other than that...its ALIVE! 8) It doesnt look like it in the pic but Ive done a lot since the last pic was taken. Completely disassembled it...replaced a couple of bearings...greased and adjusted everything...polished the outer wheel lips...put new "old" grips on that I love!...reworked the fron fender...antiqued the new NOS rear rack...re installed the reworked chain guard...installed my old '53 NC tag...and put the original head badge back on! whew! Now all I lack is finding a headlight I like and a better way to attach my vintage '50s pepsi bottle and fill it up. Looking for a BIG one...and also the old style dropstand to replace the original kickstand. It may not look like much but to me its awesome since it started with just a frame and some old fenders. Thanks for looking guys!!!! :D

SD531278.jpg

SD531275.jpg

SD531282.jpg

Thanks! :) I was looking at the pics...and decided to remove the bottle...Im gonna do something different with it...oh well...guess a bike is never really done!

I think if a bike I build makes me happy ...Thats 90% of it and if everybody else likes it then thats the other 10%. Its turned out nice. I might be wrong ,but usually a rear hub can only be a two speed without a cable. If Its a kickback I'm thinking two speed. Somebody will chime in and say for sure. Those cwc springers are my favorite , and though they look like they do very little with such small springs, I have found them very comfortable...and pricy too. :mrgreen: Good job

Thanks for the comments guys...I appreciate it! :D As it usually goes...I changed some today...I removed the Pepsi bottle...still not sure about it...and changed forks...it rides bunches better. What do ya think? Good or bad change? Also removed the front fender and worked on the arch a little more...almost have it the same as the whitewall :x I think Im gonna have to use a big hammer! lol

1.jpg

:oops: Ok I was in a hurry to post...lol. I changed "HANDLEBARS" today. Just got back in from a ride around the neighborhood hehe I love this thing!

Back