Unknown Shelby (1940's?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the bike I just picked up this morning. I don't have any info on it yet. I need to clean it up pretty good as well. All I know is that it has new tires and tubes.

20120521_155853.jpg

20120521_155912.jpg

20120521_155926.jpg

Shadow, pt 2. :/

20120521_155948.jpg

20120521_160040.jpg

Crud! I've been looking at a lot of other Shelby's online and almost all of them have a tank. I hope mine isn't missing one and if so hope that I can find a replacement.

Can / will anyone help me identify this ride? Or point me to some websites. I'll hit up CABE tomorrow after work.

its possible it didn't come with a tank, look around were the tank would cover over. see if there is discoloration were a tank should go.

Nick

This is one of my absolute favorite styled bicycles. It's got such a sleek look. I've seen this frame with a tank before but it certainly could have been a base model without one.

Check along the top and middle tube, look for wear lines in the paint that would run horizontal with where the edges of the tank would close around the tubes. Here's a photo of one with the tank, it's a Cadillac badged model of the same bike. Yours is most likely prewar ~1940-41 or very early postwar. Great find; nice original blue/red paint scheme too!

IMG_3870.JPG

Well, there doesn't seem to be any indicators that there was a tank. But that doesn't mean that the original owner removed it right away or something. I like it as is. I can't wait to clean it up and ride it!

Anyone know what the leather straps on the hubs are for? Or was that just the style at the time, like onions on the belt?

grampa05.gif

Leather straps are hub shiners! They were both a style and kept grease/oil from accumulating on your hub, thus remaining shiny. Unfortunately, many of them have had the reverse effect after 40, 60, 80 years and have worn through the finish :lol:

nice ride it looks great even without a tank I have a Hiawatha badged Shelby with the same dropouts chainguard paint design everything the difference though is the color scheme is reversed mine is covered in rusty patina and I am missing the light on the front fender. Yours looks way cooler thats a nice survivor there. Here is mine-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55540750@N06/5147113921/
By the way how is that speedo I sent ya?

someguy83 said:
nice ride it looks great even without a tank I have a Hiawatha badged Shelby with the same dropouts chainguard paint design everything the difference though is the color scheme is reversed mine is covered in rusty patina and I am missing the light on the front fender. Yours looks way cooler thats a nice survivor there. Here is mine-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55540750@N06/5147113921/
By the way how is that speedo I sent ya?

See for yourself - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57535
:p
It's great! I actually came across a second one not even a week after I got yours. So I have a second one waiting to go on a ride. The axle bracket on this one kind of sucks though. When I get it on a wheel, it won't spin. But off the wheel it's fine. :/ I don't know. Need to look at it some more.

Back