Unkown year Moulton Mini - ideas welcome!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half build thread, half bike intro here. As mentioned in my intro thread I said I'd post pics of the bike to show what it's like and maybe get some ideas from you guys? I'm looking to rod it not restore it. Anyway here are some pics:

I hope these pics work, I'm useless at this sort of thing!!

As per one of the pics, I have already removed the front and rear mudguards & the badly faded plastic chain guard.

I was thinking possibly ape bars or BMX bars when I can figure out what to replace the one piece bar & stem with. 14" Schwalbe Big Apples. Would like to try and have a coaster brake fitted so I can remove all the brakes too.

What do you guys think??

Last edited:
Welcome to RRB!! Love the Moulton. I never knew about the minis. I have a Raleigh Twenty and would love to find a Moulton someday. You should definitely keep the rack! To me, the cantilevered rack is part of the signature styling of the Moultons.

Big Apples for sure. I have had them on Dahon Curves and Dahon Jetstreams and they are great fat little tires.
Never heard of 14" wheels. I wonder if 16" would fit. That might open up you wheel options.
If could figure out a way to do a cantilevered banana seat, that would be cool.

Good luck!

Welcome to RRB!! Love the Moulton. I never knew about the minis. I have a Raleigh Twenty and would love to find a Moulton someday. You should definitely keep the rack! To me, the cantilevered rack is part of the signature styling of the Moultons.

Big Apples for sure. I have had them on Dahon Curves and Dahon Jetstreams and they are great fat little tires.
Never heard of 14" wheels. I wonder if 16" would fit. That might open up you wheel options.
If could figure out a way to do a cantilevered banana seat, that would be cool.

Good luck!
It looks like there'd be room for 16" wheels in there, and I'm sure I came across one on flickr that someone had retro fitted 16's to. Would make for easier for tyre options although I had toyed with staying faithful to the original 14's, haven't really decided on that.

The same friend that sourced this for me also has a Raleigh RSW buried at the back of his garage I still hope to prise from his grasp in the future!!

Ditch the doesn't-work-well rear brake and lace up a 70's sturmey
archer 3-spd w/coaster... I believe it will fit the rear spacing but not
sure since I haven't 3-speeded one b4.. Cool bike....cool projecto..

Nope...there are many varieties from the teens until today..some with and some without. Personally, I like the 3SC, the TCW, TCWII and even possibly the new ones(I have no experience with the new) There is some concern amongst some that Sturmeys will kill
you if out of adjustment. This may be, but I wouldn't ride any bike w/o the axle nuts on tight and everything in adjustment. My experience is that they are the way to go to give any bike more range and flexibility.
I have put thousands of miles on my road bike with a sturmey 3sc on it....
They also come with different length axles, and can be "made" to fit by adding or taking away spacers and slotted washers and axle lock nuts. Measure your dropout width...
Sturmey Archer min width is around 4-3/8"
but can be made wider with spacers. One last thing. They are relatively easy to overhaul and get parts for. Once you put a tranny on that bike, you will always have one.
Just imagine how clean the bike would look w/o that crappy c-brake on the back.
:thumbsup::39:

The paint on it is actually really bad and not original. It has been rattle canned by someone at some point, painting over parts that shouldn't be painted. Even some of the chrome has been painted silver on it. Big problem with knowing what to do with it is the fact it's so small. The images don't really show that. I'll get a pic up with me next to it (not a pretty sight as I'm a BIG dude) to give you some perspective.

I like the hub I have on my folder, a new Sram 2 speed auto with coaster. They go for around 70 bucks on Amazon. The coaster brake stopping power is very good, better than the ones on my 3 speeds with coaster, SA or Shimano. As for your frame I agree to keep all of it, maybe add some chrome piping to look like exhaust pipes. I see it has cottered cranks, maybe it's a 60's bike. Same chain ring as mine.

Last edited:
The Moulton is a British designed & built bike, designed by the late Sir Alex Moulton. He also designed the suspension system used on the original Mini car.

I have now hatched an evil plan for my little unsuspecting Moulton (insert evil laugh here).

Will post progress as it happens chaps.

I like the sound of that.

Back