Unusual Western Flyer Twin-Tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this an uncut diamond? It appears to have twin cantilever top-tubes AND twin intermediate tubes. Photos are not very good and I think the seller is asking WAY too much for what I see here. At first glance, I would ID this as a Murray-built/Sears-sold offering, but the seller insists it's badged WF. It does sorta look like it has this sticker in-place. Opinions?

251317279693_1.jpg

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/5642139460.html

00n0n_gOKeP9DKCb6_600x450.jpg

00o0o_jKCV7Jrd3pU_1200x900.jpg

I sold one without the springer for $30.....seemed like a fair deal.

That was my first thought, too--I just never encountered that frame style before...which I find mildly interesting. Beyond that, nothing blows up my skirt here. If I could buy one from Dave for $30, though, I'd be all over that.

Besides mine this one is the only one ive ever seen, even after a fairly good google search. Middleweights, blech.

Definitely Murray built, late 50's to mid 60's. Other than the banana seat and sissy bar, it looks all original and in good shape. The pedals and handle grips don't look like they have ever hit the ground. Fenders don't look dinged up and the rims look to be in good shape. With the rat trap springer it's a good bike but 200 bucks is pushing it. I'd offer a hundred bucks and see what happens.
Here's one like it with some extras, a 59 model. Same frame, chain guard and reflector housing. If the decal on the seat tube says "50th anniversary", it's that same 1959 bike without the rear rack and tank.
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle444

Last edited:
it's a J.C Higgins Flight Liner they where built by Murray for Sears/WesternFlyer in the 60's, my father has a full chrome model. This one seems to have been customized in the 60's.

The dropouts are one of the best ways to ID a certain make of bike. For the most part, they are all different.

Looking again, it sure looks like the 50th anniversary 59 model. Did you get it?

The dropouts are one of the best ways to ID a certain make of bike. For the most part, they are all different.

Looking again, it sure looks like the 50th anniversary 59 model. Did you get it?
I have had this bike for a couple years.. It was just the frame and crank set,, I will have to look up the 50th anniversary one!

Latest posts

Back