Unwritten rules for thrift stores selling bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
(at least in my county):

1) You must always have a boy's Spiderman bike in stock at any given time.
2) completely ignore the fact that tires are falling off the wheels; the chain is rusted and won't turn, and the hand brakes don't stop the bike.
3) use online prices to determine your own prices, because after all, the one in the picture is EXACTLY like yours, except yours is better and proceeds are for 'charity'.

rule #2 & #3 is constantly in effect at a local thrift store.. case in point, these two are rotting on the sales floor:

the lower is a specialized mt bike, 2 tires shot, doesn't pedal, and brakes are toast. sticker price: $75
The upper one is bargain; 1980s Huffy, it pedals, and the shifters and brakes kinda want to work, wheels roll, but need new tires.. sticker price= $25

I have purchased a few bikes here, after I pull the manager aside, and ask "where do you get these prices for non-functional bikes?"... otherwise, I just laugh.

Man! :shock: The girls bike would be $5 where I go and I might even get the other for that too, as they often don't even look at the names, but if they did $20 max...

The funny thing is, even at $10 for the two, I would probably walk straight past them and grab something else that fits my plans better... :lol:

I know what you mean about the Spiderman bikes, the local shop I go to has 2 of them, the dump shops on the way up here had another one and the dump up here has one too!

Luke.

ozzmonaut said:
The main thing here is to have a walmart bike that has some miles on it and charge more than walmart is asking for the same bike.
Fortunately around here it's Pawn Shops and Craigslisters that think it costs more than new at Wallyland because they have it!
The Thrift stores are a bit better but yet ignorant, they price a Mongoose bmx the same as a say, Felt bmx if the parts are "looking the same," yet never more than $75.00
So if it's a quality bike in a thrifty store it is a deal!
1990s rusty bikes are always "vintage," at the thrift stores here! That costs more.....
I just walk away from the overpriced ones shaking my head, laughing!
GMC Denali bikes are the worst right now, everyone thinks they came from France and stolen from the team during the race, and are priced accordingly, $350 to $400ish!!!!!!!! TEAM GMC!!!! Hah ahahahahahha.

Where I live there is no rhyme or reason to pricing. As a matter of fact a complete reverse case scenario of the first example would be common/expected.

At the thrift store yesterday and see they are having a sale on swimming suits, girls swimming suits.
Someone had creatively hung tops and bottoms all over an old Schwinn traveler.....
Looked like uncle pervy was on yet another raid!!!!,
Oh, the Traveler was marked, "Chicago Schwinn, $300.35," only the 3s looked more like Bs and the 5, well it made a great S!
Guess the old ladies that work there gotta have fun to!

Back