UPDATED Pics 10/7/08 ~(o) Elgin RustoRod (o)~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Still a work in progress, but I think you get the idea. No idea of the year or model of the Elgin, but it has rear drop outs like I have never seen - very big and sturdy.

ElginRustoRod1.jpg

ElginRustoRod2.jpg

ElginRustoRod3.jpg

ElginRustoRod4.jpg

Re: ~(o) Elgin RustoRod (o)~

That is going to be sooooo sweet! Colson had those drop outs in the 1940s......but I have never seen them on an Elgin. That is one of my favorite frames, with the curved seat tube and long tank. Are you leaving the frame color as is? It looks phenomenal with those tires! That looks like a future "favorite" in the stable!

Those dropouts look like they are for a rear dropstand. I have a book here somewhere that has all the Elgin stuff in it. I'll dig it up and see if it has some photos of this bike.

And by the way.... ENVY :mrgreen:

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Frame and tank are sick.I'm sure you'll do it right.Can't wait. :D

Totally rad dude. :D

Mine is from the same era obviously...minus the curved seat tube and sculpted BB.

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

I have the exact same bike. I got it from a member on here locally (StingRayJoe). He showed me a book and it labeled the bike as a 1940 model. I forget what the model name was exactly. The headbadge on mine was different than the two pictured. Mine said "Derby". Could be a few reasons for that. Otherwise its exactly the same bike. I just took mine for the first test ride about an hour ago. I love it!

Are you missing the rear fender and rack or did you just take them off already?

that bike just looks perfect!! love it...it's got such a great look to it and the tires sit so
right. great job...can't wait to see this one.

This has to be one of the best looking builds I've seen in a while. I'm surprised no one has noticed the wheels yet. Tripple step lobdel rims and looks like either a musselman or morrow hub on back. Can't wait to see it finished 8)

I'm surprised no one has noticed the wheels yet. Tripple step lobdel rims and looks like either a musselman or morrow hub on back.
good eye, man! I was lookin' at the frame and seat. Sweeeet! I checked my Elgin files, and the curved bar shows up spring '41. I believe those were made by Murray for Sears. Nice. ~Adam

Here are a few updated pics. The sprocket will be here shortly. Chain is soaking in Mineral spirits. Grips are on there way.

Part2a.jpg

Part2b.jpg

Part2c.jpg

I have the same exact frame and I was told it was from about 1937 -1938. I only have the frame and rear rack and have been searching for the rest of the parts. Good luck on the build it looks very good so far.

Also, I have been enjoying riding my 24in. red and white columbia I bought off you. :D

Back