Urban Klunker- Bruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been thinking about building a throw in the back of a truck, trunk, back seat whatever it be and not worry about it bike. It must be lightweight and cool.

I don't know that there is a particular category for this style of bike, so I've created my own. A Bruiser, defined as a throw around lightweight cruiser, an Urban Klunker/Bomber if you will.

Starting with a '37 C model Schwinn frame as this is my favorite frame style.
Picked it up like this:

Had it thrown together like this for a couple weeks, donor parts off a prewar women's Fleet I had picked up as parts for this particular frame before I had even bought it...

I wasn't totally happy with it like that, so my mind started working.

Fresh after blasting and satin clear coat. Goal again is to not worry about scratching or chipping paint.

At this point the plan started changing.... I started to hang the skip tooth stuff back on and was going to paint all the components black, but realized man these frames are so light when they are bare! It's a shame to hang on heavy steel components.

So I made some changes to my plan. I had purchased a 3 piece crank conversion from a RRB member for another project, but the gearing isn't quite right for that. Decided it needed to go on this frame. Besides the black and blue goes with the Bruiser theme.

Should have a fork here today, I didn't want to reuse the original for the strength factor. Still debating on handlebars and neck. Have an alloy wheelset coming and a set of black Fat Frank's waiting.

Hmmmmmmm these are cool....

That's all for now folks!
Jon

Last edited:
Got the fork this afternoon. Got it fit up and cut down. Got some grips and a chain this morning. Just waiting on the wheelset.

I'm really happy with it so far. The bars are REALLY wide, but I like them so far. Only thing left of the original bike is most of the headset.

This one is gonna be a lot of fun!
Jon

i agree w/ ya that the bars look to wide, but they're still cool.
if ya dont own a tube/pipe cutting tool go to yer local favorite hardware store and get one.
its hard to say from the pic, but i bet if you cut 1 1/2 to 2 inches off each end off that bar youll be golden.

of course of your gonna use brake levers account for those also;)

I'll have to ride it first before I make a decision about cutting them down. They are actually for another project, but that one has awhile before its done. Just sitting on it right now I like it. I'm not exactly small so it allows me to stretch out some. We'll see, would make me feel really confident going downhill.

No brake levers on this one. Goal is to have nothing hanging off that could potentially catch or hang up on anything.

Got this one pretty much finished up. Wheelset came in today. They are a lot darker than I thought, but that's ok. It doesn't have to match.

Crappy indoor pic because it's too dark outside.

Wheelset is from eBay, Weinmann wheels, Shimano coaster brake. They are light. I'm happy with them.

This thing rides awesome! Smooth as silk! Light and nimble, brakes really well. Really quick too. Wide bars are sweet. Weighs in at 31 lbs.

Jon

Last edited:
I may even throw some knobby tires on it and see what it does on some local trails.
IDK about knobbies tho.
slightly%20dangerous%20old%20school%204_zpskroncxgp.jpg

Built this one last year, it's a nice riding bike but I don't ride trails and the noise and vibration on pavement sucks so I may put smoother tires on.

Back