Value of a perfect original Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my uncle has this near perfect all original Schwinn Stingray...I'm talking add air and some grease and it would be dialed...litteraly. It has the original red glitter banana seat, mini apes, 5spd, and even the original Schwinn tires still look good. It's red, with a red seat, but it was up in a fairly dark attic space so I didn't look at any of the markings. He is the original owner and is curious what the value would be.

To be fair, I'm talking collector value, not what the cheap crotchety RRB guys would pay :p :D

Thanks in advance guys and gals (wait do any girls hang out around here?)

there are at lease 3 gals... and a bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... you can check ebay .. and there is more than one schwinn expert here .. :roll:
I say we ask wise old owl

Red Stingray 5 speed with a Red seat ... either an Apple Krate or a 70's 5 Speed Stingray. Apple Krates go anywhere from $750-1500 as of lately (has to be really nice and expect someone to pay in person / not ebay), a few years ago $2000 was tops, if its not a Apple Krate, set the bar a lot lower than $750 (like in half). Condition is everything though, A seat can be soft or dry and brittle but still look perfect, Tires can be Good or Look Good on the verge of falling to pieces. Perfect paint can mean Incredible or Incredible with a scratch and it makes a difference. You can have a perfect Stingray, while your buddy has a perfect Stingray with Accessories while his neighbor has a perfect Stingray with Accessories, Original Tags, Purchase Order and a photo of it under the Christmas Tree in 1969 with Elvis in the background dressed as Santa.

It's just best to get it out of the attic, figure out what it is and go from there ... I hope it's a winner !!!

Just my opinion too by the way :wink:

Thanks, that's helpful. I suspect it's a 70's bike as my dad's Varsity is a '71 and I think they got them around the same time.

Someone say Schwinn....... :lol:
The best thing to do is get it out of the attic, clean it up, ride it, post some pictures, then we can go from there. Value could be anywhere from $50-$2500 depending on condition, model, accessories, originality, and how bad someone wants it. Also red was one of the most popular colors and still is so finding a buyer shouldn't be too difficult, just finding a price that suits you both.

If I were you I'd try to buy it and keep it in the family.

Year is a huge thing with the Stingrays. There's a biggg different between a '71 5-speed and a '74 5-speed. Then there's a difference between a '71 Stingray and a '68 Krate.

If you can get a picture on here, we can sort this all out!

I'll see if I can get a picture from him ASAP. It certainly has a little age on it, but nothing that wouldn't polish up nicely. I'm fairly sure it's a '71. Thanks again all!

Back