Velor cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got them from http://chopperdome.nl in Amsterdam. Manufacturer is 8 Ball Lowriders and they cost €17,50 for these led lights running on buttoncell batteries. They are dirt cheap at €4,40 for 6 volts, but I don't like wiring and dyno's very much. I am curious how long the batteries last though.

Thanks, Ace. was actually cruising that site earlier today....trouble is, all the stuff is in Amsterdam! Oh well....

I've seen those bee lights on other websites, but they all seem to either be dummy lights or generator lights....a battery powered LED would just be too easy, right? :wink:

One thing I fell in love with on that site is this....I love the Electra Super Deluxe, and I love pedal cars....how cool is this? Wish I could read Dutch, though.... :oops:

http://www.thechopperdome.nl/346-overige-projecten

De fiets hondenkar

We moeten natuurlijk altijd eerst ff denken als de vraag komt of we ook een hondenkar kunnen bouwen. En na een aantal ideeën te hebben doorgenomen, een circuskar is niet geheel de stijl die we zochten werd een replica trapauto de basis waarvan we zouden uitgaan.. Voor de trailer schafte we een orginele kar aan, de hond moet tenslotte wel veilig vervoerd worden, waarvan het frame verlengd werd. Zodat de ondertussen van trapgedeelte ontdane en verlaagde trapwagen geplaatst kon worden zonder uit te steken....

Bij de klassieke uitstraling van de Chevy trapauto hebben we voor de Electra Super deluxe kleurstelling gekozen, dit wordt tenslotte ook de bike die de kar gaat trekken.

It goes something like this:

"The doggytrailer bike

Ofcourse we had to think twice when somebody popped the question if we could build a doggytrailer. After going over some ideas, without going too clownesque, we thought of a replica pedal car as a base of origin. As a start we bought an original roadworthy small trailer wagon (as the dog should be transported 'safety-first'), of which we stretched the frame, as long as was needed for the lowered, and stripped of internal footpowered mechanics, pedal car not to stick out.

For this classicly styled footcar we went for the same Electra Super deluxe colourscheme, as is the bike that will be pulling this combo."

Great project indeed 8)

Look what Santa gave me: a genuine ding-dong bell !

3087030282_cd792d94fc_b.jpg

Front light I got myself is led, and the best I could find in our town. It's plastic and cheap, but looks chrome enough to do the job, before I go to Amsterdam and find something more retro looking and made from metal. The ding dong bell is awesome, never knew they are so loud. Coolness galore, I'm one happy kid. :mrgreen:

Got bored with this bike quickly, ended up in the back of the shed. Untill I remembered I still have an Xtracycle set on the attic. Tried to combine both and it seems to fit. Porbably the first Xtracycle combination with 144 spoke wheels :eek: Need to make 2 bushings for it to work properly and extend the chain, but other than that it looks weird enough to work:

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

What do you think ?

:) Looks really cool! can you explain more about the Xtracycle, Like why you need to extend the chain? I presume theres more to it than ''rack and panniers' also are you sure it will take my weight ok next time I come to Amsterdam :shock:

The backwheel is no longer on the bike, but attached to the Xtracycleframe. The Xtracycleframe is connected to the bike where the backaxle used to be, thus moving the wheel backwards, hence the need for a longer chain. Comprende amigo ? :mrgreen:

The Xtracycle website is a bit hard to navigate (to say the least), but if you google for Xtracycle pictures you'll see loads of combinations with different set-ups. As you'll soon see people use it for the most varied loads, so no worries, it is strong enough to hold you too, depending on how much you've had to drink. :lol:

Nice!
I almost 'won' a Velor on Marktplaats albeit not in chrome. It was beige and it had the most wonderful rake to it. Another guy (or girl) beat me to it... The extension looks usefull AND cool. With the right bags ofcourse. Are you planning on some more custom touches?

Ace said:
no worries, it is strong enough to hold you too, depending on how much you've had to drink. :lol:

Nice one ACE! I think its pretty neat! If I get stranded in Amsterdam next year I'll call you :lol: !

herr_rudolf said:
The extension looks usefull AND cool. With the right bags ofcourse. Are you planning on some more custom touches?

Agree!Me thinking a couple of road scrapping old leather saddle bags like the Swedish style chopper builders used to always add to there motorbikes 8) !

Thanks Clancy ! I plan on using this combo to haul stuff like a cooler to the beach, if we ever get to enjoy a nice summer that is. The past one was utter **** so I got plenty of time. The only thing I'm not too sure of is whether this is doable without gears. Might have to change the backwheel for one with a 3 speed hub.

@ Rudolf: don't expect too much of this brand Velor: welding is tacky, rear triangle isn't straight, chrome is flimsy...but I do like the stance and rake of this frame. Also the wheels on mine were a bonus. The Xtracycle set is top notch though, supposedly holding 80 kgs. Material of bags is also pretty strong, this is certainly no toy. If this all works out I'ld like the frame of both bike and Xtracycle sprayed flat black and attach a rear light under the board. Perhaps some day you could paint my board ? 8)

@ Boris: did you say "taxi !" ? :mrgreen: I'm sure you'll fit with your legs on one side and your head in the other bag. Just raise your head in time when I shout "sidecurb !" :lol:

Ace said:
...if we ever get to enjoy a nice summer that is. The past one was utter **** so I got plenty of time....

Ace said:
...@ Rudolf: don't expect too much of this brand Velor: welding is tacky, rear triangle isn't straight...but I do like the stance and rake of this frame. Also the wheels on mine were a bonus. The Xtracycle set is top notch though, supposedly holding 80 kgs. Material of bags is also pretty strong, this is certainly no toy. If this all works out I'ld like the frame of both bike and Xtracycle sprayed flat black and attach a rear light under the board. Perhaps some day you could paint my board ? 8)

Bad summer?? hmm, but I do remember the heatwave going on for longer than a month in June/July...

Ah, I guess you can't tell what kind of quallity the build of a bike really is just by looking at a Marktplaats-pic... Bad welding (as in 'ugly') doesn't matter for me. (makes a better rat...) As long as the welding isn't 'dangerously bad' I'd probably be okay with it, if the price is right ofcourse. A rear triangle that isn't straight is something else though...

I don't often like extreme retro frame designs, but somehow the lines of that particular Velor just grabbed me... The ad never said 'Velor' by the way. But the shape looked exactly like yours. Plus it had everything I wanted to put on it myself: Aluminum wheels, whitewalls, nice handlebars, etc.

The Xtracycle looks natural with the lines of that frame. I've read somewhere on the forum that it'd be hard to paint a chromed frame... But flatblack would deffinately be cool. I wonder if it's posible to do a transparent color over the chrome. Candy apple heaven if you can pull that off. Then we'll see if that painting on your will be nessecary...
:wink:

I was too busy with work and completely overhauling the front garden during that heatwave (mainly june if I recall right), and after that it's just been pouring down...hardly been to the beach this year, and even the FBI was wet. Never mind, we've only got another half a year of rain to go before summer starts again :mrgreen:

On the chrome I can only say grind it down and it will hold any paint. This isn't your regular rockhard chrome like tripple trees and such, you can scratch it easily. You got me thinking about the transparent color effect though, thanks for the pointer !

PS: I think your drawings would look cool with any color 8)

Latest posts

Back