Vermin in my attic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings All,
My name is Gerald. I am a born mechanic, craftsman, artist, generally handy guy. I was born with a rusty thumb and have always been fascinated by anything that takes me back to a bygone era. I have dabbled in vintage cars over the years, but the past 12+ years of projects have been mostly (ok all) real estate related. As much as I dig working on houses I always dreamed of returning to old sheet metal with wheels.

It all started a few months ago with a chance meeting in a dark storage barn behind a thrift shop. There she was, in her original rose and white birthday suit…calling to me. I was mesmerized…until my wife caught me checking out that little Starlet’s rack. A 2 week dance ensured with the keeper of the thrift shop. It was for sale, then it wasn’t…then it was cheap, then it was priceless. Eventually, we hauled it home and the wife had her a new toy for cruising the neighborhood. We aired-up the original, slightly checked Westwinds and lubed the rusty chain and took it for a spin.

It was my first vintage bike purchase. I went with the basics….drawing mostly from my car restoration experience. Well-cared for and one owner….original parts…..no major cosmetic or structural issues…shows well. After the dust settled, I paid $100 (to a great charity) for it. I set out to further identify what I bought. It is a ’60 Schwinn Starlet. As for what series, I dunno. It is apparently a transitional year that combines some cool features of the 1 and some updated (ie not-so-exciting) features of the 2.

After all that fuss with the Starlet, I was still standing on the side of the road as a spectator. In my head I envisioned a roving fleet of bombers, ne'er do wells, punks, hooligans.....different one for every day of the week. We have the space to store and restore, and a place to ride. Why not? (Any thing that scares all the Audi-driving neighbors is surely worth the price of admission, no?)

And then it all spiraled from there (down or up, depending on who you ask). There are now a total of 9, with a 10th on the way. A couple are for parts, some are future projects, some will be sold to fund the other projects. Most were had for a song, one or two I paid too much for.

I have been a forum scanner (everywhere) for years but have never felt compelled to post anything. Once I comprehend the pic posting thing, I will share them with y'all. Take care for now.

Looks like you caught the bug and found an internet home. I look forward to seeing some bikes.

Strangely enough, I spent many years tinkering with bikes (BMX/Road bikes) but never encountered really cool old stuff like I have been coming across recently. The Starlet was the first vintage fendered bike I ever sat on and was floored at how cool big fenders look and feel. That is all it took..... I could have fled with my wallet intact. Too late.

These pics were taken yesterday. It was foggy, drippy and warm(ish), so I took all 38 degrees and ran with them. A much needed day to catch up initial degreasing. Without further ado......

1954 or 1956 (S/N used twice?) Schwinn Corvette S/N M12912. VG to Exc original black paint. Came to me in a boxes. I have both racks and a rear fender (early painted black/white). Wheels are S2s w/Bendix Multi (2 spd cable op). I suspect they don't belong.

1960 Schwinn Starlet. The one that started it all. (Mom told me girls are trouble!) Paint shows great and I can't wait to lightly derust it. Delta Martin was removed for washing. Horn tank is cleaner on the inside that outside...since there wasn't a battery in there.

1966 Columbia middleweight tank has since been disassembled and will be used for parts. It was in great shape and hardly used, but it had a bad case of battery rash.

2013-01-13140954_zpsec363cf8.jpg

1960s Hiawatha Cycovator. I have determined that is original paint scheme. Missing fork, fender and (gulp) Hiawatha Badge. It has same 24" fork as the Spyder in the back, right down to the color.

1972 Columbia ? Is it a Coyote? Sort of a metallic bronze with gold glitter banana. It has shifter with 3-3-3 on it, but it sports a 5 speed rear cog. Not sure what is going on there?

19?? Sears 24" Spyder. Purple glitter seat and grips intact. I has full period correct "Schwinn conversion". IE all Sears stickers removed and Schwinn badge properly riveted to head tube. 'Cause who wanted to a ride a crappy Sears bike when the Schwinn Stingray was all the rage?

I initially had no feelings for the bananas. Apparently that may have changed. I suspect it had something to do with the glittery striped seat and matching red glittery grips on the Cyco. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

2013-01-13140713_zpsfa67ebbb.jpg

Now this is some stuff to scare the neighbors.

193? American Flyer. My current rider. I patched front tube, oiled coaster and took off down the driveway in the snow the day I brought it home. Original drop center rims (in matching paint color) are straight, all spokes are there and NDs are fully functional and shiny. Love it. Love it. Love it. She'll clean up nice and I see some Creme Colored Fat Franks in her future. Tank on the way too. Can't stop staring at it.

1946 Columbia ???. Field fresh. Drop centers are straight, NDs are good for parts. Frame & fork has a great look to it. Original paint details show through rusty crust. And who doesnt love semi-goth fenders!?!? I am thinking new wheel set, total regrease and done.

194? Hawthorne ???. Was intended to be a donor for a mens Hawthorne that never happened. Parts anyone?

2013-01-13140631_zpsd1c37e91.jpg

And #10 193? Colson boys. Didnt not make photo shoot, since it dont have it yet. Give me a few days.

welcome!

nice lil collection ya got yerself :mrgreen:
what corner of the globe ya from?

Welcome! Awesome intro, you appear to be a born storyteller, will be watching and waiting for a build thread. :D

Nice collection of bikes too, wish we had stuff like that over here in Australia... Well, there are some here, but very few...

Luke.

junknutz1975 said:
welcome!

nice lil collection ya got yerself :mrgreen:
what corner of the globe ya from?

Thanks. I am in a far, far away land known as Goshen, CT. About 1.5 stones throw from Chicopee. I noticed that many peoples bike pics have a stray aircooled VW or two lurking in the background. I spent many years eyeball deep in Type 3s....Fastbacks only.

LukeTheJoker said:
Welcome! Awesome intro, you appear to be a born storyteller, will be watching and waiting for a build thread. :D

Nice collection of bikes too, wish we had stuff like that over here in Australia... Well, there are some here, but very few...

Luke.

Thanks. Good to finally make in the front door. I have been admiring from afar for the last few months. Those first long-winded posts were typed in advance whilst installing vapor retarder and electrical in workshop. A little here, a little there. I had to be able to "drop and run" or it would never happen.

BTW......That '59 Caddy build is simply "out of this world". Makes me think moon rover... something you can pedal to the edge of a crater to watch an Earthset.

And I thought I was making epic progress when took a few minutes to patch a couple of tubes yesterday.

vw's n bikes go awesome together !

DSCF0403_zps57bffea0.jpg

i have a 69 beetle hardtop and a 98 new beetle too. i go to the dust off , terryville , n litchfield vw shows almost every year
the vw addiction bites as hard as bikes do :wink:

escape*artist said:
BTW......That '59 Caddy build is simply "out of this world". Makes me think moon rover... something you can pedal to the edge of a crater to watch an Earthset.

And I thought I was making epic progress when took a few minutes to patch a couple of tubes yesterday.

:D Glad you like it. By the way, patching tubes... Any progress is progress!
Took 2 years of designing and planning to get the Caddy to where it is now...
With the bikes you have available to you, I can see some amazing rides getting built!

Luke.

Back