Vespa(?) Front Drum Brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went to the salvage yard looking for a drum brake. They had several, all on those little moped things made in Europe or Japan.?? I stripped one out and went and paid. It was expensive, but I bought it anyway. I paid $3. 8) Has anyone made one of these work on a bike? The axle is too large a diameter so I'll have to mill a couple of flats on it. I didn't measure it, but I'll probably have to spread my forks a bit too. Any tips or drawbacks to using drums like this? Recognize the maker of this drum? B607
DSC03317.jpg

DSC03318.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

DSC03320.jpg

Vespa mostly made motorscooters but they made mopeds too. If it's off a Vespa, then it is probably a Grimeca drum brake. Vespas are made in Italy.

You can get 32 hole rims in 26" and 700c all day.

I'd use heavy duty spokes on it, because it looks like you can.
Also, you should be able to get some forks that will fit it, and if you can't I would modify the fork instead of the axle unless you have a tap and die set.

Is the thicker nut the axle nut? If it's just there to take up space you could remove them, as there is a smaller locknut to keep hub adjustment. That would make the hub about 5/8" narrower.

Eliminate one nut per side? Now that's an idea I can use. I have a pre-war Schwinn locking tubular fork I'd like to use, but it's like new and I hesitate to spread it to fit the hub or grind out the forkends to fit the axle. I'm a retired machinist so doing the milling and thread touch-up on the axle is no problem. Another machinist friend of mine has a nice shop with all the machines and tools I'll need.
Yes, the hub is drilled for .105 spokes and I have a wheel set I plan on using with .105's. The rear wheel has a yellow band kickback with .105's but I plan on getting a Nexus 7 coaster for it instead. I haven't tried to find the 9 5/8" .105 spokes I need for the front, but hope they're available somewhere. I won't know what size back spokes I'll need until I get that Nexus in my hands.
This is the first bike project I've done in over 10 yrs. I can thank this forum and it's members for getting me fired up and back in the bike groove again. Seeing all the awesome work on here, you can't help getting dragged back into it again. Thanks...I think! B607

Latest posts

Back