Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (engine mock up)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (Welded & 3rd Mock up)

dracothered said:
This is the engine I am thinking of using, it is a Motobecane AV10 Crate Motor.

Motobecane%20AV10%20Crate%20Motor%201.jpg

Motobecane%20AV10%20Crate%20Motor%202.jpg
Have any of you used a Motobecane engine or know much about them?

I think it'd look sweet with a 20" in front and the OCC forks if you use a 20x3 tire in front and the 20x4.25 in the back for a mean staggered look. It would also fill in the fender nicely. Also better shock absorbing qualities than just a skinny tire (and being full rigid you'll need it!).

outskirtscustoms said:
I think it'd look sweet with a 20" in front and the OCC forks if you use a 20x3 tire in front and the 20x4.25 in the back for a mean staggered look. It would also fill in the fender nicely. Also better shock absorbing qualities than just a skinny tire (and being full rigid you'll need it!).
Thanks for the idea...

Sweet! Did you get the one with gears like they put on the little mini choppers or the single speed one?

I had an old Honda Mini-trail 50 that had a blown up motor when I got it so I built it into a sleeper, I put a 125cc mini chopper motor (Honda knock off) with the 4 speed on it. It'd run at 55-60 MPH easy but looked dead stock. Scary as heck at that speed too! I loved stop light racing all the other Chinese scooters in town. :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet! Did you get the one with gears like they put on the little mini choppers or the single speed one?

I had an old Honda Mini-trail 50 that had a blown up motor when I got it so I built it into a sleeper, I put a 125cc mini chopper motor (Honda knock off) with the 4 speed on it. It'd run at 55-60 MPH easy but looked dead stock. Scary as heck at that speed too! I loved stop light racing all the other Chinese scooters in town. :mrgreen:
This is what it has...

Engine
Displacement 49cc
Engine Type Air Cooled, Single-Cylinder, 2-valve, 4-stroke
Bore/Stroke 41mm x 47mm
Final Drive Chain
Fuel Delivery no
Fuel Unleaded / 93 Octaine
Reccomended Engine Oil 10W-40 Petroleum Based (Nonsynthetic)
Ignition
Kick Start Pedal
Electric Start Yes
CDI no
Auxillary Output Yes
Transmission
Transmission 2-Speed auto w/ Hi & Low range selector
Shift-Pattern no foot shifter
Clutch
Semin auto (no hand clutch)

Sweet, 2 speed automatic. Should have some get up and go to it. :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
What width rim could I get away with for a 20 x 3 tire? The one in the picture above measures 1" wide from bead to bead.

dracothered said:
outskirtscustoms said:
What width rim could I get away with for a 20 x 3 tire? The one in the picture above measures 1" wide from bead to bead.
You'd be fine with that, they go on normal rims on the West coast choppers from the factory. As long as it's not a super skinny road bike wheel you're okay. They look sweet on mag wheels too! They do require a larger 20x3 tube though. A good fat 2.125 tube MIGHT work but I don't know.

outskirtscustoms said:
dracothered said:
outskirtscustoms said:
You'd be fine with that, they go on normal rims on the West coast choppers from the factory. As long as it's not a super skinny road bike wheel you're okay. They look sweet on mag wheels too! They do require a larger 20x3 tube though. A good fat 2.125 tube MIGHT work but I don't know.

Thanks, what make would you suggest I get.

OK, so I took apart a gas tank from an old chain saw to make a battery box for my AMF. This tank had two sides to it, as one was for the bar oil I think and the other was for the gas. At first I was going to solder in a new center section but I was able to get a good bond so I just cut out the end in the original center section and will use it that way.

Battery%20Box%201.jpg

Battery%20Box%202.jpg

Battery%20Box%203.jpg

Battery%20Box%204.jpg

Battery%20Box%205.jpg

Battery%20Box%206.jpg

Now all I have to do is solder two of the section together and create a latch for the third section and mount it to the frame.

Re: Vintage AMF Roadmaster Motorbike (Working on Battery Box)

Since I can't do much on the MegaPixieRay until the needed parts come in I worked more on the AMF build. The faux Oil Tank now only has one fill neck like it should. The bracket is also almost done and ready to be attached to the wall.

Battery%20Box%207.jpg

Battery%20Box%208.jpg

Back