VINTAGE BICYCLE PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Fat Whitewalls said:
Not sure if it's suspension. The pedals go up and down, like climbing stairs.

Yeah, you're right.

kingfish254 said:
Big Fat Whitewalls said:
Not sure if it's suspension. The pedals go up and down, like climbing stairs.

Yeah, you're right.

leather straps drive the axle when tension is applied with the pedals... spring returns the leather and pedal to the up position. wish I could find a video of one of these in action. saw one at a show once but not in action!

Found this pic today............East Toledo
Not sure of year - maybe the bike will give an idea of time frame - and gas pumps in background?

GirlsBike.jpg

Dboy9887 said:
This is an awesome picture, they sure dont make velodrome tracks out of wood any more!

???

What except wood could they possibly use to build velodrome tracks?

This is the track of the National Cycling Centre in Manchester:

manchester-velodrome.jpg

It opened in September 1994 and remained the only indoor Olympic-standard track in the United Kingdom for 18 years and was relaid with Siberian pine in Summer 2007.
It is now complemented with the new velodrome for the 2012 London Olympics, which is being built from - you guessed it - wood.

I have never seen anything else being used for building indoor velodrome tracks.
But I sure stand corrected if you show me something different.

Whoa!! i visited a few tracks before and they were made from extremely smooth Asphault. My apologies sir!. But i only seen outdoor tracks so i guess that explains it! and im the guy training for track racing. I'll take a pic of the track i go to. :oops:

ohdeebee said:

That is an awesome 60s-70s photo. No way that you would see parents watching their kids do that nowadays.
We had jump and return ramp one year and I jumped flaming Christmas trees on my mom's bike with child carrier on the back of it.
Ahhhhh, the good ol' days!!

ohdeebee said:

Bike jumps and FIRE!!! yeah buddy it dont get no better then that.

You know the kid making the jump.... is probably the neighborhood GOD after doing that! You know the audience is like awestruck!!! 8)

Look at the mom running for the small pail of water!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think we should have a "recreate the flaming bike jump" photo contest. Just sayin.

ohdeebee said:
I think we should have a "recreate the flaming bike jump" photo contest. Just sayin.

I wonder how far I could jump Fugsley! :p

Dboy9887 said:
Whoa!! i visited a few tracks before and they were made from extremely smooth Asphault. My apologies sir!. But i only seen outdoor tracks so i guess that explains it! and im the guy training for track racing. I'll take a pic of the track i go to. :oops:

No apologies necessary. Come and visit! I can get you on a bike in the Manchester Velodrome and you can have a go on wood yourself.
Most importantly, there are licensed bars, too.

Just thought I'd mention that the outdoor velodrome here in Blaine Minnesota has a wood track. They say it is made of African Afzalia wood and is one of only 3 wooden outdoor tracks in the U.S.
blaine_velodrome_600.jpg

Greg Farmer

gifarmer said:
Just thought I'd mention that the outdoor velodrome here in Blaine Minnesota has a wood track. They say it is made of African Afzalia wood and is one of only 3 wooden outdoor tracks in the U.S.

Greg Farmer

And what a beauty she is. I'm sooo tempted!

Back