Vintage BMX advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase or build the BMX bike I always wanted as a kid. The ultimate would be an early 80s chrome Redline. Something similar would suffice as long as its early 80s. I figureill have a budget between $200 and $250. Am I close? Any advice on cool bikes to look out for would be great. I remember really liking the all chrome no color scheme style.

Thanks

Someone else on here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking your budget will get you a really nice stem for an 80's Redline, or a set of pads. Maybe a good set of handlebars. Seems like the brands that were "in demand" back then are priced out of the stratosphere now.

he's right, your better off trying to find something complete in your price range if your on a limited budget,

Thanks guys. That's a bit depressing, but I'm keeping my chin up. I've been searching CL and I've seen some pretty interesting stuff. One was an 83 Schwinn predator for $100. I like the proline frames and have found a few, but I'm having trouble dating them by sight. It seems that if someone states the date in the ad they usually know what they have and want more for it. I know to look for the old style head set and stems, but that's about it. I guess I'm hoping for that one find where someone is clearing out their shop and they need to get rid of that old bike that their kid never took with them when they moved out 20 years ago.

I love the chrome too! I finally have all the parts for my 83 pred, I just gotta get the time to mash it all together, heres where i left off..

IMG_20111016_173139.jpg

That's what I'm talkin about! I don't need anything super rare or desirable, just something chrome from that time period in the style I remember. That's going to be one cool bike. Nice work.

Most of the crew in my neighborhood had pieced together bikes that we added cool anodized BMX parts to whenever a birthday rolled around. I rode a Huffy cantelever frame with added parts until I finally landed a mongoose frame. Then my mom went and laced a coaster brake hub to my z-rims because "hand brakes were dangerous". We were always a step behind the complete redlines and Hutches. I just figured now that I'm old and into bikes again I should put together that bike I always wanted. Maybe when I finish it I'll finally sleep at night without thinking of what bike I want to build next, ...yeah right.

For $250 I would hope you could snag something decent for a rider but probably nothing "show winning". I've found a lot of younger kids asking outrageous $$$ for stuff just because it's old ... something they were asking $500 for they end up taking $50 for a couple days later when nobody is biting. Can't blame them for trying though :lol: A lot of times it's just "junk" and they're trying to get money for games / cooler stuff.

finally got the predator finished!! gotta show it this weekend then its goin on the block. still lookin for one? :wink:

2012-10-11_15-33-50_646.jpg

2012-10-11_15-37-29_582.jpg

2012-10-11_15-34-26_238.jpg

2012-10-11_15-34-32_271.jpg

parts? you gonna try and go OG with it? its lookin pretty sick as it sits! 8)

they should be V bars tho i think. :?

scrumblero said:

The wheels look good in the picture, but they're in pretty sad shape. They had that blue plastic coating on them that someone has chipped almost completely off and the spokes need replacing. I like the hubs so at some point I'll lace them up to some better rims. In the mean time I have some new white Skyway IIs on the way. V bars would be cool, but I'm thinking CWs. I'm also looking for a white seat. I have to slow down for now though, this could get spendy quick. I'll probably be throwing up a list in the wanted section next month.

:lol: yes, spendy is a term for it!!

can you chip the rest of the paint off the 7a's? the chrome wheels looks sweet IMO

scrumblero said:

I just had a great idea. I have a precision hammer in my garage. I'll trade you a sweet set of custom convertered V-bars for your CWs. :lol:
The wheels probably deserve to be cleaned up and laced with some new spokes. If I do that I'll have to pick up another frame to build and so on...

I'd say if you just want something to ride and look cool on I'd get an older Mongoose, Dyno, Robinson, GT, Schwinn, or something that looks similar to a Redline then just order a set of re-pop Redline decals. Most wont know the difference. Just if you ever decide to sell it don't try to pass it off as real.

Yeah, you can pick up some good deals if you look around......how I picked up most of my BMX herd http://bmxmuseum.com/user/1263

Some were complete and some were picked up as f/f and built up......now I'm getting into the older bike scene.

Back