Vintage Huffy Estate Sale Find!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This looks to be a 1973-1975 Scout. Not bad, I might clean it up and resell it. I might part it depending on what it needs. Buffing the paint and touch up is not biggie, but its the well-used seat and flaking chrome on the front brake caliper that is making me question (I know these light weight types, stuck up as can be). I paid $10 for it, saw a nice ladies model go for $55 recently, but other than that I don't know much about the value. Wish me luck!

P.S. thats not all. From the looks of things, this is gonna be a MEGA PICK. Car stuff coming out of every which way. I almost bought an antique iron w/box and an electric coffee pot, but I passed. Took me long enough to sell the last iron.

2633.jpg

2634.jpg

2635.jpg

2636.jpg

2637.jpg

2638.jpg

So far the only parts I need to replace is the missing black handlebar tape and at least one of the white cable covers for the rear deraileur. I'll see if I can patch the seat. The wheels are just slightly out of true so I'll have to get that fixed. The front deraileur shifts perfectly and flawlessly while the rear is just one gear off. The paint has a ton of fine scratches in it and it looks like it covered in oil and it is NOT coming off!

Basically, its a bunch of little "honey-do" type things. If I can try to buff out and touch up the paint, the rest is an easy flip. Oh, and the whitewall tires eem to hold air fine, well the front anyway, I haven't tried the rear.

mines missing the front derailer and the shift levers and the rear fender, havent tried airing up the tires yet but have another 10 speed wheel set for it if they arent any good. Is there any name on the front derailer?
scout.jpg

Yeppers. Its a Shimano Thunderbird. They can be for aboout $5 on eBay for a very nice example. The Shimano levers are on the stem, I 'll check for a model name in the morning when I have more light.

Is that the original handlerbar tape?

Latest posts

Back