Vintage/Modern mix...and 7 speeds, too!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post and my first bike project that could be called "Rat Rod" (using a very loose interpretation, I suppose). Unlike other bikes seen in this forum, mine is a bit more modern, bordering on being a commuter bike. The frame is a modern aluminum cantilever style but I don't know who made it :?: . The PO said he thought it was a one-off SRAM project bike because it had all SRAM parts and a large decal that said "Powered by SRAM" on the downtube. Not sure about that because the frame does have a serial number on it (custom one-off bikes shouldn't need a serial number, right?). I bought the bike for $75.00 and have only put about another $50.00 into it.

I'm including a "before" photo so you can see what it looked like before the gray paint. I used DupliColor flat Hot Rod gray primer...no topcoat or clearoat. It has a SRAM 7 speed Spectro-7 internal hub and shifter as well as SRAM brakes/levers. The crank is Suntour, saddle is Selle San Marco Linea, seatpost and stem are new Kalloy, handlebar and pedals are from Nashbar and the tires are semi-slick city types. I plan on some form of handlebar and saddle change in the not too distant future. I might even pursue a 26" BMX cruiser look.

The internal gears work OK and make it a fully functional and rideable bike for commuting and pulling the kiddos in the trailer. :p

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_6000.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6006.jpg

NICE !!! like the paint change, and the bmx bars sound nice too !! not bad on price for the parts youve got on it :D

more than likely not a 1OFF bike, its pretty common to see bikes with decals stating the drive parts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to get a photo of the serial number posted sometime. I'd be very grateful if someone out there could tell me where this thing came from! Since it doesn't really fall into the "vintage" category, it might be difficult to trace. Who knows...it could end up being a Trek or something similar!

Nice transformation! How about stopping by the Intro section to let everyone know a little about yourself :?: :idea:
L8 EM

Wow, the BMX cruiser/updated Klunker is really making a comeback, at least around here.

That's a nice bike, and you sure can't do any better for the price! The internal hub really gives it a nice clean look, but I'd be scared as heck to open it up and take a look inside. Then again, anything with more than one gear scares me. I'm a single speed cruiser kinda guy.

That bike's definitely a rat. IMO, rat rodding isn't a look, although there certainly is a "classic" rat rod. Rat rodding is a process, changing something from it's original design to better suit your needs, personality, or just because it's fun. If it's a commuter bike and you're going to be racking it next to other bikes every day you might want to consider sealant. Even if given a couple weeks to cure, spray paint stays fairly soft and will be super easy to scratch. It's going to get scratched in those conditions anyway, but you might be surprised how easily and quickly it can occur.

Anyone know who makes a frame like that? I would love a vintage stylish frame with the modern lightweight aluminum!

Latest posts

Back