Vintage Montgomery Ward 20" girls banana seat project..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, this morning I scored this bike at my local flea market. My wife was driving, and I told her to stop quick in the parking lot so I could get out and go check out the bike......Yes, I instantly fell in love with it! :mrgreen:

I got it for $10 .......it's a Montgomery Ward's 20" girls bike.......which looks to be 100% original...except for the fact that someone decided to weld in an extra bar on the sissy bar...AND someone fixed the moving apehangers by welding them to the stem :cry: The seat has seen better days, but I'd like to have Murray (Firewalker) do a custom banana seat.

I plan to clean the paint up......and wax it to restore it as best I can.....I LOVE the green paint...and the stripes on the fenders just ROCK! I'll clean the wheels, add a fresh sissy bar, fresh stem and handlebars, and fresh rubber....including a nice fat blackwall drag slick for the rear 8)

Enjoy the pics guys, I'm SO psyched to get this bike....it instantly grew on me.

Brian

MWoldbike002.jpg

MWoldbike001.jpg

Markm said:
Dude, thats cool!!! Is the front rim smaller or less spokes? Looks cool!!

LOL, man, it sucked me in too as soon as I saw it.....I knew I had to have it. My wife thought I was nuts at first for getting her to stop before parking....I'd never done that before :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure that both wheels are equally spoked.....and both are 20" wheels.

isn't it crazy how a girls' bike can get you sucked in? i got this as you see it over a year ago, it's what got me back into old bikes:

pinkpolo01.JPG

i cleaned it up and my daughter loves it

poloride01.JPG

hey, did you ever post a pic of your Sears Spyder project?

--rick

i Just got another schwinn Hollywood. iM GOING 2 take all the good parts off and make 1 good holly wood for mom and make this one (cuz paints ruff) A beeter.

I've just spent about a half hour with the bike.....the paint is pretty oxidized.....BUT, it's going to clean up nicely...and have an awesome shine to it. The wheels are also going to clean up well.....so I won't have to change those.

Most of this bike was covered in a really heavy oil, which has covered spokes,cranks,chanring, and wheels.......so with a bit of time and elbow grease it will be pretty nice.

Rick, I haven't posted a pic of the Sears bike project just yet....mainly because it's been tore apart for over five years......and I'm using new parts except for the main frame. The frame itself looks almost identical to a Schwinn Stingray frame.......same style. Once I get my parts I've ordered for the bike in the mail I'll post a pic of it before I begin alot of the work....so there will be some "before and after" shots.

Rick, that girls bike of yours looks AWESOME....what a great job you did with that.....and my wife and I loved the pics of your daughter riding it......looks like a snapshot from the '70s :mrgreen:

Firewalker said:
nice going Tex!

I would love to help you out with the seat!....It will be staying green right! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This bike will definately stay green (I LOVE green :mrgreen: )

The seat is a plain jane white.......I'm having a hard time deciding to either keep it white......or go green......

For sure I'll have to reuse this seat pan......it's got a unique style of mounting the the seatpost....so that's definately going to have to stay ;)

Murray, I'm tight on cash for the moment.....BUT, I'll do my best to get some cash saved up and get with you on this seat....AND I'd also like to have you redo my vintage Persons pan seat that I put on my WCC chopper bike.

Thanks for the compliments on this thing......I'm trying like heck to get a year narrowd down on it.

Hey guys, I just got the serial numbers off of the headtube...they are as follows:

# C2268664

I've tried searching Oldroads website for info....but there aren't any pics or info on this bike there......

Anyone have a clue as to what year this is? :?

Clothespin "n" said:
I Love That Chainring..
never seen one Like that before..
I like unique stuff,and That Chainring is Unique,
I would have Bought that Bike JUST for that one Feature,

Keep us Posted,
Kev.

Kev, I thought the same thing man.....I think it resembes an old Corvette Rally wheel :mrgreen:

TexasXXX said:
Rick, that girls bike of yours looks AWESOME....what a great job you did with that.....and my wife and I loved the pics of your daughter riding it......looks like a snapshot from the '70s :mrgreen:

thanks... I lucked out, there wasn't much to do on mine other than scrubbing it clean.

As far as serial numbers... you say it's a Montgomery Ward bike? It had to be made for them by one of the big bike companies--Huffy, Columbia, Ross, like that. I would compare it to bikes in the pics at the NE Musclebike Museum site. Look for similarities... the chainring, the way the seatstays merge into one tube just above the rear wheel, the fork crown, the chain guard. From what I remember about bikes in those pics, I'm guessing this is a Columbia... I'm almost sure I've seen that chainring on a Columbia...

Does Oldroads have a Columbia serial number database?

--rick

Rick, I've searched Oldroads.....but nothing turned up for iding the bike as a Montgomery Ward......I also checked the list of Columbia serial numbers....and that didn't turn anything up either :cry:

ok, no idea why I'm taking such an interest, but for some reason I've gotten incredibly curious about this bike...

Try this: Cruise NE Musclebike Museum's site through for AMF bikes, and you'll see the ones on pages 13, 15, 21, 40, and 51 have a sprocket with a similar design, though somewhat larger with 3 additional "holes" in the center. They also have a similar fork crown: three "plates" with a chrome cap over the top one.

Also, the Western Flyer Wheelie Bike on 8 and 57 has the same sprocket and fork crown, I think. A quick Google search shows that AMF made Western Flyer bikes.

Now look back at the one on p. 21. Is that the same seat as yours? Finally, look at the Western Flyer Buzz Bike Jr. on page 35. That looks like the SAME sprocket as yours, no?

And then I remembered why this sprocket looked so familiar to me. This AMF Junior Roadmaster 16" is currently sitting in my basement:

jr16piece.JPG

Same sprocket and chain guard. Is that a non-replaceable welded sprocket? 'Cuz that's what this little 16" has...

Then scan down this thread, find the red AMF Roadmaster moped, and check THAT sprocket. Looks like the same one too, only it's a standard replaceable one...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239899

Looks more like an AMF to me now...

--rick

Back