VW GTI

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of looking for a GTI as a second car, anyone have any info on what to look for? How reliable is the 1.8 turbo compared to the 6 cylinder? What are some common problems? Also if anyone could explain the MK 3 MK 4 and so on. I am not a mechanic so if I am looking at major headaches and/or high maintanance cost,please let me know that too. I was looking at the 99 to 04 version. Thanks

Major things to look for in any VW is rust around the window channels, strut towers, and rear suspension areas. Make sure the shift linkage is tight and it goes into gear nicely if it's a stick, they tend to wear out. I have the 1.7 in my VW MK1 but I've owned the 1.8 too. They are pretty good and I have seen them go 200K (WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE). It's like about anything else, if it's been taken care of it'll last. Also look at the spot welds under the hood, If they look funny or you got a big goober weld it could have been wrecked. Also look behind the front seats and pull back the carpet if you can, this is usually the spot where you will find rust. Not a bad thing but I have seen a few that were neglected and it ate halfway through the structure at that point. a little floorboard rust is fixable and pretty common in MK1-MK2. shouldn't be a problem in newer ones but you never know. From my personal experience it's about the cheapest and easiest car to maintain that I have owned. Also keep in mind those three letters "GTI" add a bit to the insurance. It is possible to put a GTI grill on a stock golf / rabbit and get the look with cheaper insurance. (That's what I did on my MK1)

I currently own a 2002 1.8T GTI and I love it.
In 2002, the 1.8T was rated at 180hp, while the VR6 had 172. While the 6 has more torque,I decided to go with the 4 because it has more 'room' for performance mods.

Mine is still basically stock, with just a cat-back 2.5 inch Tetonics exhaust. One thing, please be sure that the timing belt was changed around 90K, like an idiot, I didn't and blew at 95K taking the top end of motor with it. But now, it pulls like new. :roll: :mrgreen:

I accidentally rear ended someone in November. I've got all the replacement parts (along with some custom pieces) in, except for the custom front bumper/grill.

I'll post some pics soon.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back