Want to make this a 3spd

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a bike that was a freebee but the shifters are crap. what will it take to change it to a 3spd. will a bmx tapered crank set work and will I have a issue with chain line. thanks for all help!

New shifters would be much cheaper than a 3 speed conversion. That would be a lot of work! Gary

18 speed huffy?
Just from the bit I can see it looks like my friends old bike before a SUV ate it.

By go 3 speed are you talking a internal geared hub?

I did a 3 speed by using a single rear cog and a rear derailleur as a tension and was a 3 speed at the crank.

You can put a bmx crank on that frame, if you like. No mods or special adaptors; just need the right BB.

I can't see the drop outs on your bike, but if they are vertical, you'll need a method for keeping the chain tensioned, and it won't work with a coaster brake version if you're running a tensioner. If the dropouts are horizontal, you should be good to go without a tensioner, and a coaster will be fine, although you may need to respace the hub....

Craigslist that bike for $20.00, put that with hub money, buy an old kia, freespirit, Murray, Huffy, that
has the 3 speed!

If you like the bike I would just replace the shifters, derailleurs, or whatever doesn't work correctly. If you want a 3 speed wait and buy a used bike with one or put a 3 speed hub on a more appropriate bike.

Latest posts

Back