Watches and bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I apologize if it isn't. Didn't know where else to put it. Anyway it's pretty obvious that we are all collectors on some level. I love these old bikes and they take me back to my youth. I am also a collector of watches, predominantly dive watches. I do live in Florida and I am in the water quite often. With that said there's got to be other cats on this site that are into watches as well. These bikes have a mechanicality... (Is that a word?) to them. A functionality. Cool gadgetry and moving parts.... ... As do watches. The design, the engineering etc, so it would not surprise me how many people on this site...men, women whomever are also into watches.
My question is, wouldn't it be cool if a watch company teamed up with a bike builder to create a cool clunker watch? Or even not even with a builder per se as much as enthusiasts... Individual enthusiasts that could give their input on what the coolest clunker watch would be.
I mean could you imagine a really cool Tag Heuer watch that had rat rod bike design elements to it? Are you kidding me. Not to mention the fact you have wheels and sprockets and gears and all these round things that are on a bicycle that would work perfectly well on the face of a watch without being too corny or kitschy... So I guess I'm asking for ideas on, if you were to give some design cues to a watchmaker, what would they be? So what the heck... I'll start. First of all I would say a dive style watch with a stainless steel case, obviously waterproof. And a sapphire crystal for when you're jamming through the woods, branches aren't going to scratch the heck out of it. Quartz movement for the accuracy and reliability. And chronograph for when you want to time those track runs. So anyone else want to chime in to pick up where I stopped?
The picture is just a picture of one of my personal watches just to show an idea of what we could (virtually) create here... Maybe even upload some pictures of some watches that you think would work as a killer bike watch

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_003312725.jpg
    PXL_20240428_003312725.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
It's 1895 and you want to go for a bike ride - but you also want to know what time it is. Pocket watches are not user-friendly for the bike rider. Wristwatches would not become widely used until after World War I. Whatever is one to do? Get yourself an Ingersoll Yankee Bicycle Watch of course!
Bike Watch_1.jpg
Bike Watch_2.jpg
Bike Watch_4.jpg
Bike Watch_3.jpg

Attachments

• Bike Watch_1.jpg
    Bike Watch_1.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Bike Watch_2.jpg
    Bike Watch_2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
I don't have a picture but, I have a Festina from 1995 with a Specialized "S" logo on it. Each Specialized shop was given two is what I'm told. I like Festina cuz they were the timekeeper sponsor for the TdF for many years. They made another limited edition in the early 2000s:

1717514789645.png

There was a Shimano Dura Ace watch for the 25th Anniversary (I think). It was included with the groupset. I'd like to get one of these.

1717514096538.png

don't have a picture but, I have a Festina from 1995 with a Specialized "S" logo on it. Each Specialized shop was given two is what I'm told...There was a Shimano Dura Ace watch for the 25th Anniversary (I think). It was included with the groupset.
Shoot, I wish you had not showed me those... Definitely added to my Xmas list. At least the Dura Ace one is road bike stuff, I'd probably explode if it was Deore

Here is a stopwatch I mounted on SaltHammer back in BO11

1717766024795.png
1717766059780.png
1717766083365.png

It's 1895 and you want to go for a bike ride - but you also want to know what time it is. Pocket watches are not user-friendly for the bike rider. Wristwatches would not become widely used until after World War I. Whatever is one to do? Get yourself an Ingersoll Yankee Bicycle Watch of course!View attachment 268246View attachment 268247View attachment 268249View attachment 268248
too cool!!!

I don't have a picture but, I have a Festina from 1995 with a Specialized "S" logo on it. Each Specialized shop was given two is what I'm told. I like Festina cuz they were the timekeeper sponsor for the TdF for many years. They made another limited edition in the early 2000s:

View attachment 268298

There was a Shimano Dura Ace watch for the 25th Anniversary (I think). It was included with the groupset. I'd like to get one of these.

View attachment 268297
id love to get my hands on one of those as well!!

I knew watches and bikes were sympatico!!! Thanks for ll the input everybody! Keep it coming!

Here is a stopwatch I mounted on SaltHammer back in BO11

View attachment 268563View attachment 268564View attachment 268565
See?? I knew us bike peeps were gizmo freaks!!! Too cool.

Back