Way to go Schwinn... Not. (yeah, that was a "not" joke)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll just let you read the message I sent to Schwinn through their website form:

Name: Justin D. Fender
E-mail: hyperi@...

Comment: I told my sister about the Ride of a Lifetime contest after I
entered, and as normal, she has amazing luck and she won the contest
(her name is Holley...). I was pretty jealous since she
won a bike I wanted (the 4 one one), but she gave the bikes to my
parents, so I'm happy with that. Anyway, I went to Virginia to visit and
checked out mom and dad's new bikes and I LOVE the 411 rack handlebar
combo. Is this something you sell? I'm trying to put together a commuter
bike for myself and would love to have this bar on it. Thanks so much.

Justin D. Fender

Simple request, maybe expecting an olive branch, here was the reply I just got:

Justin,

Since this is a rather new concept on our 411, we do not offer that
combination as an aftermarket retail item at this time. I am sure that
it will be available in a few years, which is not what you want to hear.
Maybe in the meantime you could "lift" your parents' handlebar!

Thanks
Bobbi

No thanks, I'd rather not steal from my parents. :roll:

I'm saving my money for the Evo Handlebar Basket: http://www.amazon.com/Evo-Handlebar-Bas ... DVR1YVP1X1

I wouldnt expect schwinn to carry them as an accessory, theyre just a bicycle vending machine anymore. I'm sure the "lift" comment was just someone trying to be clever/witty as we all often do :wink:

Does anyone remember the Ape Hangers with the built in basket between the bars ?

... okay so they're mini apes but I liked these the best out of what I had seen
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2009/04/ ... -baske.php

bike.jpg

Thanks for the alternatives, but of all of them the Evo is still my favorite and at $60 with free shipping, still the cheapest. I was just going to make some from multiple BMX bars, but the Evo is aluminum.

They sell the Evo at one of the LBS's . I think it is a more practical design than the one on the 411.
The 411 basket and the one on the Raleigh Twenty would allow stuff to slide right out of the front.

41ej8PfnBlL._SS500_.jpg

CCR said:
I wouldnt expect schwinn to carry them as an accessory, theyre just a bicycle vending machine anymore. I'm sure the "lift" comment was just someone trying to be clever/witty as we all often do :wink:

Does anyone remember the Ape Hangers with the built in basket between the bars ?

... okay so they're mini apes but I liked these the best out of what I had seen
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2009/04/ ... -baske.php

bike.jpg
I like those bars

kingfish254 said:
They sell the Evo at one of the LBS's . I think it is a more practical design than the one on the 411.

Yes, from the reviews it is very practical (one guy on Amazon said he it easily carried a 12 pack, haha) but besides practicality, I think it looks tough too. You are the right, the 411 basket bar can carry a little, but that's it.

The Toba is real nice, but for the price I still like the Evo. If they were the same price, I''m not really sure, I've have to do some thinking.

This is the bar/basket combo I'm getting for my Mongoose Detain in a couple of weeks: http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&sho ... l1=BASKETS My favorite shop has it for about $35, but I get a volume discount, so it'll be a bit less. In person, its a nice size, no to big, not too small, just right for one of my reusable groceiry bags.

Well I thought it was kinda funny :shock:

yoothgeye said:
I am a fan of Origin8 and their basket looks nice and if I could get if for that price it might be tempting.

Origin8 is a brand that JBImporters distributes (the vast majority of local shops use JBImporters, and there's limited online availability-Amazon mainly) so pricing is varied by where you look. My local shop down the street a few miles is about double what my favorite shop (about 45 minutes away) sells Origin8 products for. Origin8's quality is high, so I guess certain shops feel they can sell at higher markups.

That Toba looks a little more refined than the Evo, but I think I like the Evo better.

Toba
41KcQ6AJRRL._SS400_.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the Origin8 Cargo Units on a bike. The best price I see on these is $60. They would be a steal at $35.

5994435375_a539319c47_o.jpg

The Toba looks really refined, but kind of fancy and not as deep as the Evo. The Origin8 is definitely a hauler, but I really like how beefy looking the Evo and that it appears more integrated into the bar than just added onto a bar.

I agree. Most of the other baskets look like add-ons, but the Evo is more integrated. It also looks like it could take a punch.

timthumb.php

kingfish254 said:
... It also looks like it could take a punch.
src=http://www.betterlivingthroughdesign.com/images/Evo-handlebar-basket-black.jpg&h=&w=513&zc=1[/img]

It reminds me of the front bumpers on a 4 wheeler, should be a great place to hook up to if ever get stuck in the mud and need winched out. :mrgreen:

100_0505_06z+2005_honda_trx300ex+front_left.jpg

Latest posts

Back