wedge stuck in steer tube...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the fork removed from the bike? Are you just talking about trying to free the wedge with that method?

I would try to pull the wedge to the bottom with that method and then install a new bolt and wedge in the stem. If the stem is removed, try whacking the wedge down with a long screwdriver and big hammer.

If the steer tube is open at the bottom tap it out from below. Tapping it down is likely to jam it in harder because the tube often narrows internally at the crown. If you can get the stem bolt screwed into it from below and beat on that with a hammer (and a piece of wood to protect the bolt) even better.

ive tried hitting the wedge from the top and bottom, it aint buding, i tried inserting the bolt but the wedge threads are stripped, thats what gave me the idea of just drilling a bit and putting the bolt in upside down. i dont have a torch and i dont wanna buy anything for one wedge, especially if it dont work.
fast eddie

Have you tried using some Liquid Wrench? Have you applied heat (MAPP or propane torch)?

I think you'll use it again. Tools are like that.

You could drill it out, put in a longer bolt and use a nut on the bottom, tightening it with a socket.

thread_is_worthless.jpg

Sorry I had to post this pic somewhere as it is just too funny. I think I figured out what your are talking about. Just dont go down any big hills with that setup.

good advice cman! this bike is the first bike im actually gonna leave ratty !! ive been on this forum for a year or so and ive never built a real ratt!! if it werent for the stupid stuck wedge id already have posted pics of it, maybe this weekend while the kids are gone
fast eddie

My local bike co-op made a shim for exactly this type of thing because we would always get rusted out bikes that had been neglected for 10 or 20 years, and the wedge had never been moved from the first day it was installed. You might want to check with your own bike co-op in the area, they would probably have a similar tool and knock out the wedge for free.

Latest posts

Back